Province announces they will start funding gender reassignment surgery

Nova Scotia Health and Wellness Minister Dave Wilson.

METRO NEWS

The province will immediately start funding gender reassignment surgery.

Health and Wellness Minister David Wilson made the announcement on Wednesday afternoon, saying the surgery will be covered by MSI. Earlier on Wednesday, Wilson met with members of the LBGTI community, including Kevin Kindred, chair of the Nova Scotia Rainbow Action Project.

Nova Scotia becomes the eighth province in Canada to fund the surgery.

“We don’t permit others to discriminate against transgender people, and the funding of this surgery is an issue of dignity, and equality for transgender Nova Scotians,” Wilson says in a statement. “I have tremendous respect for the LGBTI community and would like to thank them for their activism on this issue.”

A government release says Section 4.8 of the MSI Physician’s Manual that prohibits funding for this surgery has been removed.

“In our view, it is the logical next step from the amendments to the Human Rights Act that the government put in place late last year, and we look forward to working with the minister further on it,” Kindred says in a statement.

More to come.

Comments

Comments

• kevin
    June 14, 2013 - 10:57

Please explain to us dumb old-fashioned people how this is equality. Really, give it a try..

• travis
    June 14, 2013 - 05:12

This is beyond any rational persons comprehension. There is no way the government should fund such unnecessary cosmetic surgery. If someone's wishes are to be jacked on steroids they are not covered. If someone wishes for larger breasts or penis, they are not covered. If someone is not happy with their nose. No deal! If you are depressed because of how you feel about your body its everyone's right to try to do something about it... On their own terms. If this is funded there's a whole list of things I wish to see included. I want government funded steroid treatments for non transgendered people as well. If they can get hormones to change their bodies funded by people like me who can't get what they want I want to petition against this. It is unfair and very discriminatory against everyone else wishing to do any cosmetic surgery or hormone therapy to achieve a result just to make themselves feel better about themselves.

• travis
    June 13, 2013 - 21:45

• Laurie
    June 13, 2013 - 19:48

Hats off to NSRAP for aggressively pursuing this and getting the job done for the Nova Scotia Trans* community! Thank you David Wilson for making the right decision and providing much needed health care options to a group of people who only seek equal treatment.

• puzzled
      June 14, 2013 - 18:47

What does the Q stand for.. Quadrasexual???? You mean they think they need 4 organs now??? Well, let's give em 4 then!!! Don't want to hurt that poor quadrasexual's rights..

• Victoria
      December 03, 2013 - 16:41

Attn: Puzzled: Please research before making such rude and uneducated comments. the Q you are referring to stands for Queer, and in the full acronym stands for questioning. Making a mockery out of fundamental human rights is not funny in any way.

• Dee
    June 13, 2013 - 12:19

I am pleased to hear that the government will be covering these surgeries. I am truly a supporter of the trans community, and I couldn't be happier that this great leap forward has come to fruition, after so many years of hard work. I do believe that our government is broke financially, but I see this move as a sign that maybe it isn't broken in the most human sense. Good work NSRAP!

• just sayin...
    June 13, 2013 - 06:03

I too am a strong supporter of the LGBT movement.I have wonderful family and friends who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered and they wonderful people.....I am also a breast cancer survivor,the government does not pay for reconstructive surgery for me and I live with my mastectomy scars on a daily basis.Why should they be covered but not me....not fair!

• Ridiculous
    June 12, 2013 - 20:09

I am all for equal rights for gays and transgendered. But why should people benefit from free surgery while there are people suffering from cancer who have to pay out of their own pocket for things like travel and lodging? Or people who can't work as a result of cancer treatment and are losing income and cant contribute to society. Or what about people who have to pay for things like hearing aids? The province is broke. There is not enough money for healthcare let alone education among other things. If NS was a province with large surpluses and things are looked after, then yeah go ahead and help the transgendered people. But priorities need to be logical and reasonable here

• What a buch of fools
    June 12, 2013 - 19:11

You have got to be kidding. This at a time when cancer patients can not afford life saving medication. This province is being run into the poor house by a bunch of idiots!! When is the next election!

• Rika MacDonald
    June 12, 2013 - 18:10

They will subsidize these procedures but do not assist families who are trying to have children.

• A. Wright
    June 12, 2013 - 16:40

What you just read was something called progress. This is 2013, not 1913. The medical profession recognizes gender identity disorder (GID). Protecting transgender Nova Scotians was an important first step. This step moves us closer to a more just and humane society. Congrats to the government for making the right decision.

• sammy
      June 13, 2013 - 11:29

LOL A. Wright.. what planet were you born on?

• Laurie
      June 13, 2013 - 19:43

Actually, the DSM-V renamed GID to simply Gender Dysphoria but your comments are very much correct and appreciated.

• Dave
    June 12, 2013 - 16:24

WE can't get our school finished in River Hebert. What next funding for a mission to Mars. I have seen cleaner Dog kennels than our school in River Hebert. Go NDP "PLEASE"

• what???
    June 12, 2013 - 15:01

What did i just read...?

• johnny smoke
      June 12, 2013 - 17:29

Whatt?? re now a Jane and really want to be a John there is no need to just change your name as the taxpayer will pick up the tab for all of your reconstruction. This when there are line ups for heart,hip, knee,and just about any other medical procedures. It must be the thought of an election in the air. So just sit back and suffer some more, after all reconstruction aces hips and knees every time.