Update: Fire contained at ARHS

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

AMHERST – The cafeteria fire that sent students and staff home early Monday morning is currently under investigation, said Debbi Buott-Matheson, communications manager for the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board.

Deputy fire Chief Paul Black said the fire is believed to be caused by an electrical problem with one of the stoves.

The damage was limited to the stove itself, but smoke and fumes made its way through the school, forcing the cancellation of the school day.

It was precautionary measure, Black said.

Black also applauded the students and staff for a quick and timely evacuation.

“Everyone was outside before we got there.”

At 10 a.m. a report of a fire was issued, as Amherst firefighters and police arrived at the scene.

The students evacuated to the basketball court in the frigid outdoors, leaving some students huddling together for warmth.

Principal Pamela Hoar said the primary concern was safety.

“Just being cautious. You don’t want to play with these things.”

The cafeteria will be closed for the immediate future as investigation and cleanup continues.

 reporter@amherstdaily.com

Organizations: Central Regional School Board

Geographic location: Chignecto

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments