Police issue seven-day driving suspension after traffic stop

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Man removed from stadium for uttering racial slurs

Amherst Police issued a seven-day licence suspension after a traffic stop on Park Street over the weekend.

AMHERST – A 31-year-old man lost his licence for seven days following a driving incident on Park Street on Saturday.

Police stopped his vehicle for a traffic violation and administered a roadside screening device that determined his blood alcohol level to be at the stage warranting a driving suspension.

Amherst Police responded to 37 incidents over the weekend.

On Friday, police attended an Academy Street residence on complaints that a female was being harassed by her ex-boyfriend. The matter was resolved and police don’t expect to lay charges.

A 40-year-old man was removed from the Amherst Stadium during the Ramblers’ playoff game after police received complaints he was swearing and uttering racist slurs. The man was escorted out of the building and there were no further issues.

Police patrolled Havelock Street after receiving reports several youths were attempting to slash tires at businesses there. The youths were not located and there were no reports of slashed tires.

Officers responded to Boylston Avenue and Milford Street on reports of two vehicles racing. The vehicles were gone upon police arrival.

The department responded to a report of males fighting at a Summit Avenue apartment. Police were told that neither male wanted to press charges and officers left the scene, only to return a half hour later on an allegation one male had stabbed the other in the hand. A 27-year-old was arrested and held in cells for public intoxication. The incident remains under investigation.

A 43-year-old man was asked by police to leave a downtown area bar following a disturbance. The male left and there were no further problems with him the rest of the night.

Police arrested an 18-year-old female for public intoxication in the lobby of a South Albion Street hotel. She was held in cells until sober and issued a summary offence ticket for underage drinking

Officers were also called to remove an intoxicated male from a South Albion Street restaurant. The 22-year-old male had left voluntarily before police arrived.

On Saturday there was an attempted break and enter into a Havelock Street residence. Owners of the property discovered their door broken and some break-in tools nearby. An investigation into this matter is continuing.

Police also went to a Victoria Street coffee shop on reports of a passed out male. The 57-year-old man was taken a relative’s residence and no charges are expected.

On Saturday night, police went to a Crescent Street residence several times because of a male making excessive noise in his apartment. The man, who was intoxicated, was taken to hospital after falling down a flight of stairs. He was then lodged in cells until sober. He is on a conditional sentence order and may have to return to court for breaching that order.

A 22-year-old man was arrested for public intoxication after being asked several times by police to leave the downtown area. The man had been attempting to fight with several individuals at downtown bars. He was lodged in cells until sober.

On Sunday, police received a complaint of two females fighting at a Dickey Street apartment. On arrival of police, one of the parties volunteered to leave the scene and no charges were laid.

Anyone with information on these incidents is asked to call the Amherst  Police Department at 667-8600 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Organizations: South Albion Street hotel, Amherst Police Department, Crime Stoppers

Geographic location: Amherst Stadium, Havelock Street, Park Street Boylston Avenue Milford Street Summit Avenue South Albion Street Victoria Street Crescent Street Dickey Street

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page