Council approves pay raise

AMHERST – Amherst is moving forward with increasing the honorarium paid to members of council.

Council unanimously passed a motion to increase the honorariums as of Nov. 1. The mayor’s honorarium increases from $18,795 annually to $34,580, the deputy mayor’s honorarium goes from $15,812 to $23,127 and the council honorarium increases to $20,438 from $14,628.

Staff reviewed honorariums in Amherst, the Municipality of Cumberland, New Glasgow, Bridgewater, Truro and Yarmouth.

The new honorarium brings Amherst’s up to an average of the other five municipal units that were studied.

The cost will be $20,020 for the remaining five months of the fiscal year.

Geographic location: AMHERST, Cumberland, New Glasgow Yarmouth

Comments

Comments

• disgusting
    December 22, 2012 - 10:06

I find this story to be almost beyond belief. Who in this town has ever gotten such a huge pay increase without packing up to head west first? I did not vote for Mr. Small but respect that enough people did to keep him in office. Next election I will actively work against him by assisting whoever runs to replace him. There are also two and only two councilors that I have voted for in the past few elections.. These people no longer have my support. They can only blame themselves if they get voted out of office in the next election. Unfortunately, that election is now years away.

• honker
      December 26, 2012 - 14:54

Unbelievable! Am I understanding this correctly? The Mayor of Amherst makes less than $35,000 a year? If that's so, how could the town have any worthwhile talented mayor? This is peanut pay at best. This must be embarrasing for the community. I guess what is even more unbelievable are those people complaining that the salary is high, what do those people live on? Even welfare must be higher than the Mayor's salary. Poor soul, taking abuse from idiots and earning less than $35,000 a year.

• Huge Baloney
    December 20, 2012 - 11:03

I'll make this statement: this is the worst mayor and council ever. Someone said this years ago with a prior administration, but this one really tops the list. They have absolutely no moral authority to be managing this town. Every chance they get, they thumb their noses at taxpayers. And then they reward themselves for mediocre performance and horrendous decisions. Norman Mansour must be rolling over in his grave.

• Struggling
    December 19, 2012 - 10:12

I am angry that the councillor didn't have the courage to bring their intentions forward during the election campaign so people would of had a chance to say NO. I guess they think we are all easy to fool.

• roy gilroy
    December 19, 2012 - 09:17

Roy Gilroy December 19/2012 I doubt this will get posted as I am completly against this money grab. These are honorariums people, not saleries. A person working full time on minimum wage makes around 20k and that's the only type of work our council has attracted to this community lately.

• roy gilroy
    December 19, 2012 - 09:16

• Roy Gilroy
    December 19, 2012 - 08:57

This is scandelous, these are honorairums, not saleries. They pride themselves on attracting jobs like call centers that pay nothing, fold up tent and leave, then have the nerve to, "unanimously pass a motion", to double their pay for part time work? The poor people that are forced to take these mcjobs would be thrilled to make 34k a year. This is sad news for Amherst

• John
    December 19, 2012 - 08:09

I have defended this council all along A 5-10 % raise maybe but almost 100% is just Wrong!!!

• Concerned
    December 19, 2012 - 07:08

This is greed, what a pay for a few hours a week. Just goes to show us the tax payers that they don't care about anyone but their pockets.As far as town employees getting raises, that won't happen after talking to some employees that haven't got a raise in years. The town believes that the cost of living is a raise.They should think it's the Employees that do the work that makes them look good.

• honker
      December 26, 2012 - 15:00

Sorry but a $35,000 Mayorality salary is chump change anywhere else in Canada. Obviously the poverty in Amherst and Cumberland county must be truly immense. Get out while you still can or drown in your own juices.

• Disgusted
    December 18, 2012 - 22:21

for the extra 48 000 this will cost us next year, we could have hired one of the towns famous consultants to decide if council is worth that much. But, I suppose, with all the education and talent we have, the consultant would have suggested that we still wouldnt be paying these fine people enough!

• Charlie Joseph
    December 18, 2012 - 18:30

I'm fairly certain that the cost of benefits, and expected pension obligations divided by the years worked by public employees exceed the average honorarium of the council, Mayor and Deputy Mayor. Strange how we rarely hear the usual suspects whining about the excessive public sector benefits relative to the average working man (or woman). Most having none. Must be nice - being ~special~.

• bob kellegrew
    December 18, 2012 - 16:14

I hope this council doubles the wages of every town employee. who work longer longer hours than the town hierachy. ,

• Scrooge McDuck
      December 18, 2012 - 20:27

Nickle and dime every town operation, say theres no money for budgets, then do this. Awesome job guys.