Ramblers, town ready to fire unruly fans

Choose your words wisely

AMHERST – Drop the f-bomb at the next Amherst Ramblers game and it’s going to be your last.

The Town of Amherst is responding to complaints of unruly behavior and foul language directed at players and fans at last Saturday’s game between the Ramblers and the Bridgewater Lumberjacks by putting Amherst Stadium staff and security on notice: anyone caught using inappropriate langue is to be escorted out of the stadium immediately.

“We all know that hockey is an exciting game and that sometimes emotions run high but the comments made at the last game go beyond the bounds of reasonable behavior in a public place“ Amherst CAO Greg Herrett said.

Rambler president Jim Henwood lauded the decision to strictly enforce the stadium’s code of conduct following the incidents at last Saturday’s game.

“This kind of behavior displayed by anyone attending a Rambler Game is disturbing and defies not only the code of conduct at the stadium but also common decency,” Henwood said.

As well, anyone caught breaching the stadium’s code of conduct could find themselves banned from the facility for a period of time using the relevant provisions of the Protection of Property Act. The Town and the team have also agreed to increase security at the Ramblers coming home games.

Geographic location: Amherst Stadium

Comments

Comments

• RamblerAlumniGuy
    December 04, 2012 - 08:39

All the children running around is very distracting for many fans and dangerous for the kids. If a small one is injured, who is held responsible. Saturday game against the Weeks, I came out of the men's washroom and a stream of about 6 or 7 kids came around the corner and one about 7 years old ran directly into me and he hit the floor pretty hard. After making sure he was alright and asking them not to run, they all took off running down the hallway. If the young fella would have hit his head and seriously injured..who's fault..the kid, the parents or me?? I applaud attempts for more control..we shall see the if successful.

• noodle
      December 06, 2012 - 08:41

I would think by not enforcing its own rules about unsupervised children the stadium management would be legally at fault for not doing something to prevent a dangerous situation from happening.

• too bad
    December 02, 2012 - 11:53

20 years too late. But bye bye timmy...will be nice not to have to hear him anymore...

• Motherfotwo
    November 30, 2012 - 14:23

I totally agree there is no need of the cursing that goes on at the hockey games. I also agree that children who go to the game should SIT and watch the game. My husband and I used to go to the games before our boys came along and it drove us crazy when groups of unsupervised children were goofing off in the seats behind us; or beside us running in and out of the aisles. There is no need of that. However, once the boys became old enough, we tried to bring them to the games, but this was short lived because of the terrible language. They don't hear that at home, I don't need them listening to it while trying to have a "family night." So, I think if rules are going to be enforced, maybe they need to take into consideration ALL the rules. Adults: watch your language AND your children.

• wingman
    November 30, 2012 - 10:01

Put up with it THIS IS THE JUNGLE.

• AMANDA
    November 30, 2012 - 07:27

JACK-i assume you are referring to my comment, If you read it correctly I did not specify men from Amherst, The majority of the rambler fans and people that attend the hockey games are middle to elderly age range. Even those fans that come from other towns. But age is no no excuse, its not acceptalbe for elderly persons nor young persons period. And i also agree about the children situation. The hockey game is not a day care center.

• Jack on the Rocks
      November 30, 2012 - 15:48

Amanda,apparently you don't attend too many games...because the rink is a Day Care Center on Saturday nights....Have you seen the kids that run around there?????Cheapest babysitter in town,The Rambler game...

• Jack On The Rocks
    November 29, 2012 - 13:48

Just so some people know,I think the BW fans started the craplast week when their player hit Pugsley from behind.What's even funnier,the BW fan(hockey dad) is from Amherst..The Amherst fans asked him what his problem was.....So dont blame the 50+ Amherst fans for it all!!!!!

• Fan
    November 29, 2012 - 12:38

With what happened at the Rams game that they are talking about, I COMPLETELY AGREE!! Theres not need of acting like that! I heard these "fans" not only yell at a hockey player, but at their parents. People need to grow up big time! Also LONG TIME FAN - I agree with dong something with the children running around BIG TIME! Last time I went to a game I had 10 kids sit behind me with NO adult supervision and was hit hard in the back of the head with a shoe, and when I told the kids to KNOCK IT OFF the parents were pissed at me.. It wasn't me that look the shoe off and kick someone in the head with it, it was them!! We need ENFORCED RULES 100% with the children as well!

• Great Decision
    November 29, 2012 - 10:49

This is a great decision! I like to take my children, who love the game and love the watch the hockey players, to the games and often times will end up staying home because I don't want them to witness this foul language. Best decision ever! It's one thing to hollar and shout, it's another to scream obscenities. A big thank you to Jim Henwood!!!!!

• Agreed
    November 29, 2012 - 10:48

I agree that anyone who is being abusive verbally (or physically) to either the Ramblers or the opposing team should be escorted from the stadium. I have been attending the games this year and am quite shocked at some of the "adult" fans abusiveness to the players. The game of Hockey, is just that, "A Game". It doesn't help when the fans are being abusive to either team of players. Even displays of agression on the ice is uncalled for. I mentioned to my daughter during one game that there seemed to be a lot of agression on the ice during a particular game. Her statement to me was "Well, they are 'riva'" teams." My response to her was "well.....then PLAY HOCKEY" prove who is better that way. You don't have to be fighting all the time. I don't think you can prove you are the better team by fighting.....you can prove you are the better team by winning the game.

• Jack On The Rocks
    November 29, 2012 - 10:25

The rink will be empty.................except for half of the 5year old running around...

• AMANDA
    November 29, 2012 - 10:20

Good! Its about time we see stop seeing 50 + year old men yelling and swearing and 16-20 year old boys. Theres cheering and rooting for your team , then there is just rude disguisting behavior. Dont let the door hit you on the way out!

• It's About Time
    November 29, 2012 - 10:20

Excellent news... It's about time they cracked down on the few who give this town a bad name every Saturday night!!

• Long Time Fan
    November 29, 2012 - 10:07

I would also like to see them do something about the little kids running around. I have seen some roaming about the stadium that can't be more than 4 or 5 years old. They should have to be accompanied by an adult at that age.

• ram fan
      November 29, 2012 - 12:33

security has to tighten up on all the kids that just run around and bother people trying to watch the game we were told if we dont like it to move i have been going to the games for over 40 years i think the kids should be made to move