© Dave Mathieson - Amherst Daily News
Cumberland County Volunteers of the Year were recognized during last weeks meeting of County Council. The award recipients were (front, from left) Marion Duffy of District 6, Susan Murphy of District 9, Bill Fairbanks of District 3, (back, from left,) George Pugsley of District 8, Jo –Ann Livingstone of District 7, Kathy Wells of District 2, and Diana McIsaac of District 3.
UPPER NAPPAN – The Municipality of Cumberland County thanked volunteers who have given their time and talents to the community's in which they work and live during last weeks meeting of council.
The volunteer award recipients are:
BILL FAIRBANKS, District 3
Director of the Cumberland Museum Society since 1975 and has held the office of president, vice president and secretary treasurer over the years
DIANA MCISAAC, District 3 (Representative Nominee)
– Volunteer art instructor for the Tidnish Community Association, providing lessons in watercolor painting at the Tidnish Community Center.
– Instrumental in initiating the Tidnish Bridge Art Gallery which has for the past two years brought creative activities to the citizens of and visitors to the area; i.e., lessons in watercolour painting, life drawing, pottery, creative writing, illustrated journaling, and art appreciation of many forms
– Diana has organized “Paint the Blues” show for SAA in order to market local artists and their work. She has also organized two “Starving Artists” events in Amherst and two art exhibitions for local artists in Tidnish.
CUMBERLAND NORTH ACADEMY SCHOOL COMMUNITY, District 2 (Group Nominee)
– We have people who come into our school and read with our students. We have people who help out and run our “used books sale” and assist with our full sit down turkey dinner at Christmas time. We have people who provide their time and energy when we go skating or swimming or on class trips or during activity days
– Committee Members who provide their time and energy by attending meetings and providing suggestions. WE have staff members who assist on weekends and for special events such as decorating the Christmas float, helping with the fall fun day, coach various sport teams or show up to cheer the students on to support best sportsmanship during games.
MARION DUFFY, District 6
– Very active in The Collingwood Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary of which she was chosen in December as Auxiliary member of the year
– Very active member of the Millvale United Church and also at a very early age joined the Millvale United Church Woman
– Very active in the organized events that the Collingwood Community Hall hosts
JO-ANN LIVINGSTONE, District 7
– Volunteer for 9-PLUS years with the LA Animal Shelter, 16 hours a week
– Tirelessly working on the shelters new online facebook auction
– Always willing to help with fundraising events
SERENA MATHESON, District 7
– Serena has given her time and experience for the past 21 years to Cumberland County 4-H as a volunteer leader with the 3Way 4-H Club Dairy Project as well as assisting in the Dog Project
– She assists with Public Speaking and Judging at both Club and County levels. She helps prepare for Achievement Day for her Club members
– Serena is a main stay at our County Exhibition in Oxford, helping members with animals and preparing for competition. She also organizes our Cumberland County contingent to the NS Provincial Show
– In her many roles with 4-H Serena has taken the opportunity to become a wonderful mentor to many young 4-H’ers. AS a leader she has used her opportunity to develop many skills in our youth. She models the value of a good work ethic and promotes community service
GEORGE PUGLSEY, District 8
– Southampton Volunteer Fire Dept – 32 Years
– Cumberland Snowmobile Club – 12+ years
– Chignecto-Glooscap Snowmobile Club- 10 years
– Springhill Water Commission – three years
– Snowmobilers Association of NS Club Director – 3 years, Zone 2 VP- 5 Years
– Cumberland Trails – 2 years
– OHV Ministerial Advisory Committee – 3 Years
SUSAN MURPHY, District 9
– She is a firefighter with the Joggins Volunteer fire Department for 14 years. She is a member of the Joggins Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary for 14 years.
– She is the President of the Royal Canadian Legion Auxiliary Branch #4 for 2 year and member for 14 years.
– She is also a member of St. Thomas Aquinas Church and C.W.L for 18 years. She also canvasses for Kidney Foundation for 10 years, the Heart and Stroke Foundation for 10 years and cancer foundation for 10 years.