Making a lasting impression to help toddler fight leukemia

Dave
Dave Mathieson

Norma Hunter was one of nine people who had a new tattoo put on their bodies by 4:30 p.m. on Thursday. The tattoo fundraiser continues at Flesh Impressions Friday.

AMHERST – Norma Hunter offered up her forearm as a canvas for tattoo artist Harvey Bird in support of four-year-old Ryan Miller yesterday at Flesh Impressions in Amherst.

Miller is a toddler from Tatamagouche who is currently in the IWK being treated for leukemia, and Flesh Impressions is doing small tattoo designs Thursday and Friday for a minimum donation of $50 to help support Ryan and his parents as they care for Ryan and his three siblings.

Hunter said she loves tattoos, and wanted to get a new one in support of the Miller family. Her new tattoo is of a cherry blossom and a cancer ribbon surrounded by stars representing different kinds of cancer.

Geographic location: AMHERST, Tatamagouche

Comments

Comments

• Nina
    February 21, 2012 - 05:38

"Anne"... Did you not read that the tattoo Norma received was Cancer related??? Now every time she looks at the beautiful tattoo that Harvey created for her, she's reminded of the reason behind it. I can see only generosity in this situation. What about all those quilts and bake sales people have as fundraisers? Do those meet your idea of fundraising credentials? ""TO EACH HIS/HER OWN."" wouldn't you all agree???

• Big A
    February 17, 2012 - 21:48

Wonder if Anna noticed all the tattoo`s on Harvey. Those are ones you could see. Going by Anna`s comment, Harvey`s kids must be starving! Hats off to Harvey & Jamie. Such a great cause.

• MrsDee
    February 17, 2012 - 19:50

Anne - if Norma donated the money directly, would you still accuse her of taking money from the grocery table? It's nice that she gets something to show for her donation. And knowing Norma and her children personally, I can assure you that she would never deprive her family of anything to get this or any other personal wish. I hope you sleep better knowing this. ;-)

• Crystal
    February 17, 2012 - 17:24

I just got home from getting my tattoo done and I must say I absolutely love it and it means even more to me to know by getting my tattoo I was also helping a family in need thanks so much Harvey for doing such an amazing heart touching generous fund raiser!! Your kindness will not go unrecognized!

• Norma
    February 17, 2012 - 16:28

Anne.there is plenty of food on my table and i work very hard for what i have.so if i want to spend it on tattoos(or whatever else i decide)i'm pretty sure it isn't any of your business.i donated money to a family in need and i got a nice tattoo as well.and again THERE IS FOOD ON MY TABLE!!!

• anne
    February 16, 2012 - 23:45

i see norma hunter already has a big tattoo on her arm,its nice to get them but ,the money she spend on it thats food on her kitchen table.why a tatto for fundraising why not just give the money to the family.

• kellie
      February 17, 2012 - 08:45

For ppl who like tattoos..and I am one of them..I think it is a great fundraiser. There is no difference how you donate the money..tattoo or not..the point is you have donated. Hats off to Harvey for doing this as I am sure the tattoos he is doing would cost more than $50 normally.

• Basil
      February 17, 2012 - 09:24

Anne, did you know there was a fundraiser to support the Miller family? I'll bet some people did not, and now they do. It's called advertising. If Norma had given the money directly to the family, it wouldn't encourage near as many others to donate. Our band, "Spare Change" will be donating time at the Lamp Cabin tomorrow night for this cause. I commend all who are involved!