Gas shortages hit Amherst

Staff ~ The Amherst News

Shell employee Linda Bird stands in front of the empty gas pumps at the Shell gas station on Albion Street having to turn away motorists until the new shipment comes in. With closed refinery in Dartmouth, running roll outs are not uncommon across the province. – Jocelyn Turner Amherst Daily News

AMHERST – With a refinery temporarily closed in Dartmouth, local gas stations are beginning to feel the pressure of having to turn customers away.

“We ran out last night at 7 p.m.,” said Bruce Fage, Albion Street Shell owner. “We’re expecting a delivery this afternoon though.”

Although there is concern about the rolling run outs, in the bigger scheme of things, Fage is more concerned about the competitive prices with neighboring provinces.

Fage said rolling run outs are unfortunate.

"They are hard on business, but that is a very short term picture versus the regulations that we’ve had for the past four years that have essentially destroyed my business. We’re down probably 70 per cent of the volume that we used to pump five years ago. That’s a concern. Having a rolling run out over the next few weeks is a concern but not in the grand scheme of things.”

Organizations: Albion Street Shell

Geographic location: Amherst, Dartmouth

Comments

Comments

• Over The Border
    August 03, 2011 - 22:36

I am one who cannot afford a leaf, hybrid, low brid what ever! Let me say that I recently took a friend to the Bangor Airport to catch a flight. I filled up prior to crossing the border. The cost just over $40.00 in New Brunswick. Upon returning I filled up in the United States for just under $28.00. I'd be an idiot not to fill up where the price is chaper. I don't hear New Brunswick gas station owners whining about how cheap the gas is across the border! So maybe retailers need to get a little more creative in serving their clients....it just might work. Then of course there is the local theater. I don't hear them crying that all their patrons are seeing movies in Moncton. Let's face it everyone is in the same boat. Just trying to get by so folks today are saving every cent they can because they have to. Just my two cents worth lol

• Dawg
    August 03, 2011 - 18:49

Maybe I'm just plain stupid, but what generates the power in Nova Scotia?

• No Thank You
      August 04, 2011 - 10:32

Wind power, sea power and natural gas or coal.

• sparky
    August 03, 2011 - 15:01

We should be looking at natural gas powered vehicles, as it is cheap and plentifull. that would be the most beneficial as it is cleaner environmentally and cheap at this point in time. But on another note, isn't it strange that a shell station is closing due to a esso refinery shutdown? This shows collusion between seperate companies which could be the backbone of price fixing. i mean if they are supplying each other product, then where is the real competition? This is what we should be asking our representatives. IMHO

• white
      August 03, 2011 - 18:12

Shell is experiencing a gas shortage because there are two refineries in the martimes the Esso in Eastern Passage and Irving in Saint John. They supply the gas and oil products to our part of the country. That is why Shell and all the other gas stations except Irving is experiencing gas shortage Sparky.

• Jack On The Rocks
    August 03, 2011 - 14:12

To No Thank You,could you tell me the last time any manufacturer had a base price model car on their lot????Your $38395 will never happen....

• No Thank You
      August 03, 2011 - 15:35

Hi there hey that is what the web site is saying I did put a link in there. Also how about a hybrid car Toyota has the Prius for 27,800. I know you will still need gas but heck not as much. Think about how much gas has cost you to fill up hey I am just saying thats all.

• NO THANK YOU
    August 03, 2011 - 11:20

TO ROBERT: Hey I understand what you are saying but then when people like YOU complain about the price of gas and being gouged I do not understand. Look at the BIGGER picture heck there was a run on gas yesterday because of fear that you could not get gas anymore. How much do you want to bet that the price here in Nova Scotia will go up because of what is happening. Also the base model for the leaf is 38,395 http://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/ms/leaf/en/pricing.aspx#/pricing. Heck look at it even bigger the more you drive GAS cars the more we are in trouble for the environment. So people like you (and I know people like this) are willing to be taken by oil companies and help destroy the environment.

• Robert
      August 03, 2011 - 14:36

Hmm... not sure where you saw me complain about the price of gas... but anyhow... In this economy, very few people can afford a 40 thousand dollar vehicle (before Taxes, fees and any options which inflates it far above 38k)... simple as that. Many people work two jobs simply to make ends meet and having a 600+ dollar car payment is out of the question. I stand by my opinion that until the car companies reduce the cost of this technology it will be largely ignored by the general public. They simply can't afford the price.

• No Thank You
    August 02, 2011 - 20:40

Maybe this should be a sign for EVERYONE to look at getting away from our use of oil (gas). If you are one of the owners of a hybrid car then you do not have to worry about this issue that much. Or better yet if you are getting a electric car then you do not have to worry about this issue at all. We seem to keep bending over for the use of oil (gas) that keeps going up in price. I know my next car will be the nissian leaf next year.

• Robert
      August 03, 2011 - 08:35

It’s too expensive for everyone to move away from Gas. You mention your next car is going to be the Nissan Leaf… although I don’t find it overly attractive, it is a nice car… but the base model *starts* at 39000 dollars before taxes and fees. After you get a few options and pay for the taxes…. You’re nearing 50k! Not everyone can afford to spend that on an electric car. Until the car companies are willing to lower the prices on their technology, allowing everyday people to afford more environmentally friendly vehicles, we’ll be dependent on gas and oil. A used *gas* driven vehicle, used but in good shape, is going to cost me under 10k... when the alternative gets close to that, people will think about making the switch.

• Jack On The Rocks
    August 02, 2011 - 15:50

Does Bruce Fage ever have anything positive to say????His rambling about NB gas prices just keeps it fresh in people's memory banks and they go and get it.....