So long...farewell

Raissa Tetanish

Retirement comes to ARHS

Amherst Regional High School vice-principal Rick d'Entremont will have his last of his 35-year career this Thursday. The school will see d'Entremont and principal Frank Balcom retire, as well as Penny Somers and Mary Williams retire. Raissa Tetanish - Amherst Daily News

AMHERST - Rick d'Entremont will say goodbye to high school on Thursday after 35 years.

d'Entremont, the vice-principal at Amherst Regional High School for the past 10 years, is hanging up his hat.

"I spent 25 years teaching and the past 10 as vice-principal. My whole career has been at ARHS," he said on Tuesday, the day before more than 130 students graduate from their school.

"One of the biggest things to happen during my teaching career was in the 1980s when computers came online," he said, thinking back.

"That had a huge impact in the schools. It was years of settling in because the technology was always changing."

d'Entremont said no one had computer training at the time, so he jumped at the chance to take some computer courses.

"The rest was self-taught. I was interested in it. I got paid to play."

Other retirees this year are principal Frank Balcom, who is on his 37th year in the education system, and teachers Mary Williams and Penny Somers.

For the full story, see Wednesday's Amherst Daily News.

Organizations: Amherst Regional High School, Amherst Daily News

Comments

Comments

• Tracy Rounds
    June 29, 2011 - 21:16

Mr. D'Entremont, never forget when he told us that computers with (gasp!) 3MB RAM were being designed. Boy, do I feel old today! Enjoy your retirement, well deserved!

• Sandra Bales
    June 29, 2011 - 11:26

Happy Retirement Mr. D'Entremont! (Grade 8 math) and Mr. Balcom (Grade 11 English). Thanks for your patience and the learning you imparted. I'm still horrible at math (Sorry Rick!) but the literacy from English Class has served me well in my chosen careers.

• Shelley MacIsaac
    June 29, 2011 - 11:23

Congrats to you Uncle Rick! All the best in your retirement!

• Former Student
    June 29, 2011 - 10:08

His famous phrase during Computer Related Studies class in the mid-80s: "Let's get homework out of the way, please!" His signature "Rd'E" on your scribbler during the homework check confirmed you had completed it (in my case, completed it likely 5 minutes before class started). His nickname for a colleague "The Stomper" - that he told us he would never admit to inventing if we ever told the other teacher, is another memory that also comes to mind.

• Mark
    June 29, 2011 - 10:06

My favorite line from Mr. d'Entremont's class: "Mitha d'Entremont, Mitha d'Entremont"! Congrats Mr. d'Entremont and enjoy your retirement!

• Jeff Adshade
    June 29, 2011 - 09:49

Congrats on your retirement Mr. Balcom well deserved

• Janet Dale
    June 29, 2011 - 09:45

Congratulations to the staff at ARHS who are FINALLY getting to put their feet up :) I was lucky to have Mrs.Williams (then Miss.Vosman) in Gr 6 at our wonderful Acadia Street, Mr d'Entremont for Gr 8 home room & Math and Mr.Balcom for Gr.11 English. From our famiy to all of yours we wish you the very best & enjoy every single second! Brian, Janet Dale & Family

• andrew
    June 29, 2011 - 08:59

He's a great guy and I wish him all the best. He was there as he says right at the beginning of the big uptake in computers, ATM's and so so on. Best wishes Mr. d'Entremont, and Mr. Balcom too.