Students place 8th in first dragon boat fest

Raissa Tetanish
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Lauren Murray and Emily Pipes, Grade 10 students at Amherst Regional High School, organized a team of schoolmates to participate in this year's Greater Moncton Dragon Boat Festival. The students raised more than $1,800, with 40 per cent coming back to the school.

AMHERST - To the beat of a drum, 28 local high school students crossed the finish line of their first dragon boat race.

Trying to keep that momentum up, the Amherst Regional High School students placed third in their next two races and second in their fourth. They placed eighth overall at the Greater Moncton Dragon Boat Festival.

Grade 10 students Lauren Murray and Emily Pipes organized the team for the festival as Murray saw how much fun her brother had while competing as a student at Tantramar Regional High School in Sackville.

The team was able to reach the $1,800 fundraising goal to participate in the event on May 27. Of that money, 60 per cent will go toward the Lions Sick Kids organization. The remaining 40 per cent will come back to the high school - the girls said it will go to student council so everyone will benefit from it.

 

Organizations: Amherst Regional High School, Tantramar Regional High School, Lions Sick Kids organization

Geographic location: Moncton, Sackville

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments