AMHERST - Amherst firefighters were called to a fire at a South Albion Street restaurant just before 9:30 p.m. Monday night.
Connor's Family Restaurant was heavily damaged by the blaze that appears to have originated in the rear of the building. It was discovered by staff, who evacuated the lone customer and called 911.
"This place has been our life," owner Sport MacDougall said while watching firefighters work on the building. "It's hard to watch. I lost my dad nearly five years ago and now I've lost this."
MacDougall is thankful his two employees and the customer were able to get out safely.
The business was opened by Rod MacDougall in 1988 and operated as a Smitty's Restaurant for many years before becoming Connor's several years ago.
The fire comes at a bad time as the restaurant was just gearing up for the busy summer season with a number of tours having already made reservations.
He plans to assess the damage Tuesday before deciding what to do next.
The building is insured.
More pictures can be seen at the slide show at www.amherstdaily.com