22 students arrested and detained at ARHS

Amherst Daily News

Police crack down bags small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

22 students arrested and detained at ARHS

AMHERST - A press release issued Saturday afternoon by the Cumberland Integrated Street Crime Unit said that an investigation has, "Resulted in the arrest of several students of the Amherst Regional High School in relation to drug related offences.

The investigation was initiated as a result of a community concern received, that students were using drugs in the school parking lot.

Police conducted an investigation, and based on the evidence gathered, 22 students were arrested and detained at the Amherst Regional High School on Friday.

A small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia was seized.

The Police are continuing their investigation and the decision on charges is pending the completion of the investigation.

The Chignecto Central Regional School Board and the Amherst Regional High School are cooperating with police during this investigation.

School administrations interviewed the students, contacted their parents and are handling the matter as per school board policy and the student code of conduct."

The press release goes on to say, "We appreciate the professionalism the police showed while interviewing the students involved," said Carolyn Pierce, Communication Manager for the CCRSB. "They treated our students with dignity and respect.

"We will continue to work with the police throughout the investigation and going forward," said Pierce.

The integrated Street Crime Unit is comprised of police officers from the Amherst Police Department, Springhill Police Department and the Cumberland RCMP.

Organizations: Amherst Regional High School, Cumberland Integrated Street Crime Unit, Chignecto Central Regional School Board Amherst Police Department Springhill Police Department

Geographic location: AMHERST

Comments

Comments

• Tim
    April 18, 2010 - 16:52

You all make me sick!, i will be you more then 98% of you drink alchol? correct. Now, being one that has consumed alchol on many occasions and most never ended up good, when i was to drink we would be reckless, go look for fights, breaking windows, d.u.i's, you name it we probably did it, and lost of us ended up with some nice charges, now about september last year i quit drinking and i haven't been involed with the police since, why? because instead of consuming the drug alchol, i prefer to take a couple bong tokes, and what do i do? sit at home, eat some junk food, play some video games, watch t.v, clean the house? who is possiably getting hurt from that? no one, your are all jumping on a bandwagon, just because the goverment labels it illegal you stupid little misinformed kids say dumb things, take a look at the movie called "The Union The Business Behind Getting High" you will be amazed of how dumb you will feel. Now as to the kids that where doing it during school time, what do you expect? go to school pay attention get your good grades, go home smoke some weed relax thats ight, but shit dont throw your schooling down the drain cause you couldnt wait 5 hours to take some hoots.

• Anonymous Students
    April 15, 2010 - 10:35

Why was the issue not caught earlier? How did such a large number of students smoking marijuana go unnoticed? / Is the school completely oblivious? Why was this particular school singled out? Will other schools be investigated in the future? Were the students being supervised? What is the follow-up plan for the police and the school board? Has the school been ignoring this problem in the past? Where is the parking lot in relation to the school? How will this effect the reputation of the school and the community? These students should be held accountable for their actions!

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2010 - 09:16

These are some interesting and good questions to be considered! It's nice to hear from YOUTH!

• My 2 cents
    April 13, 2010 - 19:16

Y are these kids not being charged?they should be and maybe they'll think beforee doing it next time and then again maybe not!!today's youth have NO respect for anyone or anything!!it's very sad!!:(

• tammy
    April 12, 2010 - 20:22

i think all schools should be check, i bet you will find that not only is there dugs at arhs but also at other high schools as well.

• Ima Blizzard
    April 12, 2010 - 14:22

I don't care who you are,only an IDIOT would use drugs of any kind.

• Tammy
      April 12, 2010 - 15:37

Is Amherst broke or Broken......... MAYBE our new Mayor can use some of the towns funds to create a food court in our malls,or even use theses old delabedated buildings as a teen club so that the children are not so bored that they feel drugs is the only source of entertainment..giving their minds some sort of stimulation...wake up town are children really to be seen and not heard they have been asking for years to be given something... far as I am conserened the whole world is sadated in one form or another, being weed atidepresents...and so forth so I ask IS amherst BROKE OR BROKEN

• Been theredone that
    April 12, 2010 - 13:24

I have an idea...let's blame everybody for this except the students involved. The last time I checked, pot was illegal! If you get caught, you pay the price. Just like when I was young and got caught. The only difference was that when I got home, I was held accountable for my actions. That is the problem today. Nobody is willing to make these kids responsible for their actions. If they fail a class, it must be a bad teacher, if they get fired from a job, it's the boss' fault. Parents, stop blaming everyone else for your kids problems. Just like us when we were teenagers, and our kids today, they are not perfect. Maybe then they will realize that what they do today can affect the rest of their lives and maybe take ownership of the consequences when they get caught. As far as arresting the "users", you can bet that some of these kids will sing like canaries and the sellers will be brought in as well.

• Jeannette Cormier
      April 12, 2010 - 19:02

Beentheredonethat...I applaud you on your comments. We parents tend to protect our children for we feel that is our " job" but really....are we doing them justice??? When I was raising teenagers, I had to do the " tough love" with my children. Did I like it? NO!...Did it make me popular?? NO!... You are so right in saying that the young are not held responsible for their actions...always blaming others for their actions. Why do they do that???/ Because parents and society allows them to do so. Children have the upper hand today and parents know it. If parents try to discipline the children, the children will contact CFS and who do you think will be blamed????? Also...when did it become acceptable for children to abuse their parents? We often hear of parents abusing their children but has anyone listened to how kids speak to the parents??? I mean really listen. Where has the respect gone? Growing up I always respected my parents and never would I dare 'give them lip" or " tell them to *******". We can also point the finger at our justice system. I am all for giving someone a second change but when you find yourself before the court time and time again, I believe tougher measures should be looked into. If there is no serious punishment for their behaviour...then can we really say we are surprised when they act the way they do? I have been in the ARHS many times and even then, the talk in the hallways was about the drugs available at the school. It would be difficult to convince me the Principal and his staff was/is not aware of the drug issue in that school. It amazes me that the complaint came from citizens outside the school and not the staff itself. I sincerely hope this will begin to clean up the problem not only at ARHS but at the other schools around our area in order to make our schools a safe place for our children and grandchildren.

• A student of ARHS.
    April 12, 2010 - 12:01

Iam a student at ARHS. I think that what the police are doing is good because not only does the students who smoke pot effect them and there lives, but it effects the other kids that want to learn and they sometimes make it hard to learn because there so drugged up. I give the kids sympothy, as for some of them are my friends, but it is illegal. They can't expect to get away with everything they do in there life.

• 2003 ARHS STUDENT
    April 12, 2010 - 11:34

When I was a student at ARHS... there were students smoking pot also, but at the same time they kept it discreet and not on school property. thats the difference, kids now a days are not educated enough on substance abuse and parents are too scared to discuss such things with their children. I do believe that suspension is appropriate, but criminally charging them should not be due tothe fact some of these children may grow out of this stage and realise that this is not what they want in their life. The charge is going to foolow them through out there whole life. I am sure everyone has made mistakes in their days of school.. JUST NEVER GOT CAUGHT!!!

• keith
    April 12, 2010 - 10:30

you people that it is fine to smoke dope on school grounds you are as stupid as the kids

• Jay
    April 12, 2010 - 08:42

You idiots. Decriminalizing pot DOES NOT make it legal. You pay a fine instead of getting charged and jailed, it is still illegal. And, even it pot was decriminalized, I do beleive that the police could still have raided ARHS and handed out fines instead of charges, AND those students would still be suspended. Now I know this is hard to take, but some of those innocent little darlings of yours do remove their halos when they leave the house and behave quite inappropriately when Mommy and Daddy aren't around. They did when I was in high school and nothing has changed in the last 20 years.

• Peter South
    April 11, 2010 - 21:13

To these KIDS that are being so cocky and so brash about being involved in this type of activity: Now is your chance to change. Keep doing what you're doing and I GUARANTEE you're going to look back in 20 years and wish you had. The choices you make today will have an impact on your life and what type of life it will be.

• fowler
    April 11, 2010 - 16:26

stupid, waste of tax payers money. so before saying any of this, why not come check out ARHS.

• Henry Jenkins
    April 11, 2010 - 11:19

What a joke of an over-reaction. It is common knowledge the cannabis is a far safer alternative to the usual intoxicant of choice for teenagers: alcohol. The fact that police waste resources on this is laughable.

• Rick Toupin
    April 11, 2010 - 07:58

Students should not be using marijuana on the school grounds or maybe not at all for that matter. But really people charges!! Please lets not over react here! I attended high school in the 60's in Ontario. We had a smoking area in the back courtyard & some days more than nicotine was smoked. We also drank alcohol on school grounds at times. This stuff has been going on forever. I use no mood altering chemicals today at all , haven't for years . I would rather the kids didn't either, that's not likely to happen and hoot is safer than booze. Marijuana was almost decriminalized several years ago & then a sudden return to old fashioned conservative values and ideas turn up the heat. Once again the adults fail to give consistent appropriate leadership. Talk to the kids offer some education and counseling, but please drop the idea of punishment, these charges could follow them around for a lifetime.

• Joe
    April 11, 2010 - 06:49

Wow amherst police busted users of the drug not the sellers. Arresting users you know the lowest end of the drug chain happens all the time and does not affect the drug trade. How about arresting the older ones the ones selling it and supply it to the kids? In any event anyone who says this is a victory for the good guys is wrong. Its not a victory, its really nothing. They busted some kids who smoke dope. Same old story as it was in the 60's and 70's. Except this time its an aging population and with aging comes stupidity. What this really is is just good practice for the Street Crime Unit. They havn't stopped any drugs from flowing into the community. In fact if one analyzes the situation they have done nothing. Police state for our children...what times we live in.