MacDonald takes issue with Casey’s views on changing political affliations

VALLEY - John MacDonald says the Colchester North Liberal candidate is putting herself ahead of voters.

MacDonald takes issue with Casey’s views on changing political affliations

MacDonald, the Progressive Conservative candidate in that riding, wants fellow candidates to support his plan to introduce a bill requiring MLAs who switch parties to resign and run in a byelection. He spoke with the Truro Daily News and www.trurodaily.com on Thursday about his belief, as did the area's MLA Karen Casey, who a few years ago switched from the PC Party to the Liberals.

Casey said she did nothing wrong and she is responsible to voters, who many of them supported her crossing the floor.

MacDonald expressed his disappointment, in a news release, with what he calls MLA Karen Casey’s unwillingness to put voters ahead of herself.

“For her to say ‘people vote for me, not the party’ is disappointing. People cast their ballots based on a combination of the candidate, political party, its platform, and the party leader,” said MacDonald in a news release. “I’m sure her new-found Liberal supporters and their leader will be dismayed to know that it’s still all about her.”

“Colchester North voters have elected a Progressive Conservative MLA in the last four provincial elections. Her dismissal of their choices is troubling,” MacDonald added.

MacDonald told media that democracy is best served when voters are given the chance to make up their own minds, which, according to the news release, is why MacDonald wants to propose a new law that would force MLAs to get the consent of the voters if they switch parties.

Geographic location: Colchester North

Comments

Comments

• North Member
    September 23, 2013 - 18:35

John it seems like your mad at casey cause you had to run. You should be mad at Scott and Jeff for chasing the hardest working pc mla away. Now I have to watch. Casey run for the liberals while I am stuck with you. Until you and all the other Rodney era cronies are gone, my vote will follow casey where ever she goes, ....sorry,...too bad for you. You should get your facts straight before you shoot off on casey. Your team blew her off, not the other way around.

• Amanda Langille
    September 16, 2013 - 09:51

Colchester North voters wont be fooled. All we've heard from this PC Candidate is how he wants to lobby for legislation that will take more time than it's worth to get passed. It's time to move forward and focus on the real issues that affect our lives. I'm done with this political backstabbing. I want a MLA that will stand up for what is right. That is Karen Casey.

• SteveinTata
    September 16, 2013 - 08:15

As opposed to the other two commenters, I vote for the candidate, not the party. As an example, I voted for our former MP in spite of his party leader being Mr. Harper. When he ran as an independent, he received my vote again and won the riding with some 70% of the vote. IMHO, this proposal would simply add to the burden on the backs of the taxpayer.

• Bob G
    September 16, 2013 - 07:46

Sad that so many in politics, apparently including John MacDonald, simply follow their party line like sheep. Bill Casey was ousted from the PCs for sticking up for his constituents. If party lines are not in the best interests of the voters, an MLA must make a choice between the two sides, and do what he/she feels is right.

• Chris in Valley
    September 13, 2013 - 18:16

This proposal makes sense to me. I do not follow politics a lot, but my vote is usually based on what I know about what the Party stands for and will do in office. When the last candidate switched parties it was a real surprise to me.

• Graham Johnston
    September 13, 2013 - 17:24

Come on, Mr MacDonald, your pettiness is silly. It’s the NDP your Conservative party is trying to unseat, is it not? It seems a waste of effort for the third party – you – to take on a member of the official opposition – Ms Casey. What’s the point? If you deserve to be elected, you should tell us why you would do a better job representing this riding, rather than whining about historical issues of someone switching party. Years ago, a very popular local MLA, Ms Casey, found what she believed a better leader in Mr MacNeil. I respect the courage of her convictions as I am sure many of those who supported her in earlier elections. Only time, and an election will tell if her choice was wise. In the meantime, this is a non-issue and hints of desperation. So, quit your complaining and start your campaigning. – Graham Johnston, East Earltown.

• Ron
    September 13, 2013 - 16:35

John MacDonald is making a good point. I'm a Liberal, always have been, but Karen Casey can't be trusted now. She didn't get want she wanted from the PC party so she mutinied to our party. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on all of us. Once you've lost credibility, it's gone forever. If she wanted to join our party, there were better way of doing it. She's a mutineer and should be made to walk the plank. I'll be sitting out this election. Props to the PC candidate for calling her out.

• cpettipas
    September 13, 2013 - 15:54

I voted for the PC candidate in the last election. I never met Karen Casey before so I certainly wasn't voting for her personally and was very disappointed when she joined the Liberals. I felt like she didn't care about my vote at all!