N.B. man says hes banned from Tim Hortons because of complaints about coffee

The Canadian Press ~ The News

ST. ANDREWS, N.B. - A tempest in a Tim Hortons decaf cup is brewing in New Brunswick.
A man says he's been banned from two Tim Hortons outlets in the province because of his complaints about the decaf, but the company says it made the decision after he became aggressive with staff.
Jimmy Craig says he voiced his displeasure on several occasions over the last two years about "burnt" decaffeinated coffee at a Tim Hortons in St. Andrews.
Craig says that has earned him a lifetime ban from that outlet and another one in nearby St. Stephen.
In a statement, company spokesman David Morelli says no matter what staff at the St. Andrews store did to address Craig's complaints, he was unhappy and became increasingly aggressive, which made it difficult for them to serve other customers.
But Craig - who works as a paramedic - says he was always polite and never became aggressive.
Craig says he wants the ban lifted, but adds that from now on, he'll be making his coffee at home.

Organizations: Tim Hortons

Geographic location: New Brunswick

Comments

Comments

• Genghis
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

I like Tims. In the summer I often buy the Ice Caps.

But, you know what, I also often my the Mocha Moolatte at Dairy Queen. It costs just a little more than an Ice Cap but tastes even more delicious.

I've had the Mocha Moolatte in Moncton and they don't make it nearly as good as the people at the Amherst Dairy Queen. They are the very best!!! Keep up the good work!!!

• Just sayin'
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

To Troy Thompson...Thanks for the advice, but I have walked in their shoes. I worked in customer service for years as an employee and now am self employed. I make a good living by working hard and by putting the customer first. There are still great service oriented employees out there, but the bunch behind the counter yesterday when I went in for a coffee would not fit that category. Their giggling rendition of he said-she said about private matters would be best left until break time. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect common courtesy and prompt service when you are already standing there doing nothing. To those who do their work, regardless of pay scale, with pride and efficiency... Thank you. To the rest....find a job where customer service skills are not required.

• Shopper
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

As far as the service in the whole town goes, it leaves much to be desired, I shopped in Moncton, at first it was because I needed something that wasnt available here. I noticed the service much better. So Im thinking it must be the competition that make them treat customers like they want to do business with them. In Amherst I feel like Im imposing when I ask for something, its not just a couple of places, it seems to be everywhere. You do run into a helpful employee every now and then, but certainly not enough. It does make me think of where I would like to shop again.

• troy
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I can't beleive what I am reading,,,Its coffee,,Its Tim Hortons,,,I mean every time I am home and I drive by that place the line up at the drive-thru is backed up to the road,,the 15 employees are running around inside (making Very little money doing the best they can) to serve a 20 car line up and a counter full of people and you people are complaining saying the service is poor at best!!!!! Well my suggestion to you complainers is ,,get an application,,put on the hat and uniform and get in there and start serving that coffee the way you think it needs to be done,maybe you can walk from car to car and take orders and give free timbits out if its more than a 2 minute wait!!! It's pathetic at best to read you people complain about a group of people doing the best they can for very little money to get you your coffee every day,,you should just wait your turn and give a thanks on your way out of the parking lot instead of doing this whine whine whine over something so mi-nute

• shananigans
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

yeah I say to Tim's for banning this whining customer. Most workers at Tims deserve a lot more than they get paid. If you want good service go to the Tims in downtown Amherst. Absolutely the best service of any Tims I have ever been in.

• Ron
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I totally agree. I really feel bad for people who work in fast food industry or even the retail industry. They take a lot of abuse over the most ridiculous things. Life is too short people. Stop griping over coffee or that burger. Mistakes happens or sometimes the process is not perfect.

• Ryan
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I agree with Just sayin the service at a certain tim's in Amherst has gone way down hill in the past year the best place in town to get a decent cup of coffee in town is to go downtown by the bars they have the best service and coffee in town, I'm wondering how these companies make money when only 1 out of 3 stores in a town give it 110%.

• Jeff
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

My daughter works at Tims, and loves her job and her customers. The problem is that people can be totally irrational about minor complaints. She's been sworn at, yelled at and belittled over things like this and I say bravo to Tim Hortons for standing up for it's staff.
    These people are there to get your coffee, not take your abuse. If you have an issue, ask to speak to a manager or owner. These poor kids arent' there for you to abuse over some ridiculous problem like your coffee tastes burnt
    Grab some perspective on life and chill out.

• troy
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

OMG!!! Who cares!!!!! What is next,,,Stories about people that get banned from Doolies or the Champlain mall ? I 'm sure Tim Hortons will miss this guys $1.29 a day.

• Just sayin'
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Having not been there myself, I will not comment on whether or not his reaction was over the top or aggressive. I will however comment on my experience at our local Tim's. The service is poor at best. The service industry is not what it used to be. I'm not sure if this local store lacks leadership from it's supervisor's, but the speed and friendliness of service has bottomed out over the last few years. No one deserves to be yelled at over the taste of coffee, but a paying customer in this town doesn't deserve to be ignored either. To those who take pride in your work, thank you....to those who don't care, please get a job where you don't have to interact with the public.