People should be angry about N.S. spending scandal, finance minister says

The Canadian Press ~ The News

HALIFAX - Nova Scotia's finance minister says people have every right to be angry about an embarrassing political spending scandal that has dominated the headlines for weeks.
Graham Steele says it's clear that taxpayers' money "has been wasted" and spent on things that should never have been bought.
As well, he concedes the scandal has made it tougher for him as he travels the province gathering views on how the NDP government should deal with a massive budget deficit.
But the minister says it's important to put things into perspective.
While the scandal involves excessive or inappropriate spending of constituency allowances worth tens of thousands of dollars, Graham says he's looking for ways to reduce a deficit that will be worth $1.3 billion in three years - unless big changes are made.

Geographic location: Nova Scotia

Comments

Comments

• Will
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

You said it Jo-Ann & Robert. Take away their luxuries- and WE the taxpayers should say what luxuries are. If we can't afford such things, what makes the politicians think we can afford to give them such things!! This has GOT to stop! Where are the leashes for these crooks - and the ARE crooks!

I think the system is definately bloated. I work 8 hours a day and that is WORKING 8 hours a day. How many gov workers can say that? I am positive not all of them! And no fault of theirs, the system is just too bloated and we can't afford paying for unnecessary jobs.

• Jo-Ann
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

I also agree with you Robert.I would like to add if they have to live like the majority of us and have to pay our own way without expence accounts and car allowances then maybe they wouldn't be so fast to tax us to death. I say take away all the luxuries we have to live without them and so should you and live in our shoes for awhile. We can't afford them for ourselves but have to pay for them for you this picture doesn't look right. I would love to see the day when you aren't taking food out of our mouth to pay for your expensive living.

• Joe
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Wow Robert, you sure can make easy decisions. Pontificating populism is easy implementing it is another.

I doubt if you were in power you would do any of those things. But you would certainly say you would to get in power.

• Peter
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Darn it Robert - you said exactly what I was going to say...
    Ow well - DITTO!!!

• obeau
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Truer words have never been written Robert I agree with you 100%.They better start looking else where before they add more tax,s to the over taxed citizens

• Fuzzy Bear
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I am not angry.....I am ashamed of politicians. Through history there have been leaders who have been remembered as the absolute worst of their day.
    Politicians today have found a way to sink to a new low.

• Robert
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I couldn't agree more Mr. Steele, big changes must be made starting with big changes in the number of people feeding on the blood of NS tax payers.
    We're not just talking about a few hundred thousand or maybe even a few million dollars wasted by MLA's, we're taking about hundred's of millions wasted by a bloated civil service that can easily be trimed by 6 or 7 percent without any reduction in services.
    You expect the people of Nova Scotia to continue to contribute 5 or 6 percent more every year to the provincial coffers through non-indexed income tax, higher user fees, increased property taxes, even fundraising for school supplies, and a host of other additional charges, now it's your turn. The cupboard is bare Mr. Steele, time to take a look inside and leave us taxpayers alone. NO HST INCREASE! The NDP promised no increase in taxes, keep your word or step aside.