48-hour broadcast raises more than $20,000

Dave Mathieson
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

On-air marathon in support of Haiti relief

AMHERST - You'd think that after 48 hours without sleep a person would want to get some shuteye, but not Dave March.

Immediately after spending a little more than 48 hours on-air at CKDH radio to raise money for the Red Cross Haitian earthquake relief fund, March was pumped by the fact that the CKDH team had raised $20,030.
"Coming into this, we didn't have a goal in mind," March said. "But the response was overwhelming."
Staying awake for 48 hours straight wasn't as difficult for March as he thought it would be.
"It wasn't as bad as I imagined," March said after stepping away from the microphone. "I actually feel fine right now, but ask me an hour from now and I might have a different answer."
March hit the airwaves Thursday at noon and signed off Saturday at 12:15 p.m.
"The hardest time was overnight last night," March said.
"Between 3 a.m., and 4 a.m., I drank one of those energy drinks, but not long after I started getting tired again."
CKDH's Kurt Fawthrop, who raised $8,000 by calling local businesses for several days before March went on the air, was with him for much of the 48 hours and said between 5 and 6 a.m., Saturday morning was the toughest for March.
"At that point I didn't quite know what the phone number was here," March said with a laugh.
He started to come to life again when the phones began to ring at about 8:30 a.m.
"That's when the real push started," March said.
By noon they had raised a little more than $19,000 and March said he was going to keep going until they hit the $20,000 mark.
That's when they received a call from the Amherst Centre Mall saying they've got $500 from the mall merchants if another business comes along and matches their offer.
About 15 minutes later, they received a call from Scotia Hyundai of Amherst saying they would match Amherst Centre's $500. It was Hyundai's second donation during the event.
"There's no way we could have planned this to end the way it did," March said. "You couldn't have written a better script."
There were hundreds of donations made from businesses and individuals, and CKDH appreciates each and every one.
"We had two youngsters come in on Friday and give $5 each," CKDH's Roger White said. "And they were proud to give us that $5."
White and his co-workers presented the 48-hour idea to March while having pizza over lunch and March didn't hesitate to go along for the ride.
"There's no other announcer who could have pulled this off," White said. "He's been with us for 30 years and the listening audience out there loves David."
Though he is the person who stayed awake for the 48 hours, March wants little credit for what he did.
"We have a great team here and we live in a great community," March said.
Angela Lohnes of the Amherst Red Cross agrees.
"It was amazing, I think back to the tsunami days (in 2004) and I had just moved back to Amherst and I didn't know what to expect. I thought we'd see a few hundred come through the office," Lohnes added.
The Government of Canada will match the funds raised for Haitian relief, so CKDH's efforts will actually bring more than $40,000 to help the country devastated by the magnitude-7 earthquake Jan. 12.
Not long after signing off the air March said he'd better get home because he has a cat that hasn't seen him in a few days.
But before he left the office he said, "We had a ball. What do we do next?"

Organizations: Red Cross, Amherst Centre, Hyundai

Geographic location: AMHERST, Haiti, Canada

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Adam
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

    Dave your love and support for this community and the world community is something to be proud of. You are an asset to CKDH and the the town of Amherst. WAY TO GO Dave... up next your weather!

  • Johnny Fever
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

    Great job, Mr. March! It was an awesome
    gesture that you made toward helping peoples of another country.

    On a different note: It was pretty special to hear Dave's voice for over 48 hours! I can't say I completed the 48 hours listening to him but I tuned-in whenever I could.

  • connie
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

    Congratulations to everyone involved in this event! Great job!