March staying on the air 48 hours for Haiti

Raissa Tetanish

AMHERST - Dave March doesn't know how he'll stay awake and on the air for 48 hours.

But that doesn't concern him at the moment, because he knows this is something he needs to do.
March will be the CKDH host for 48 Hours for Haiti, an event raising money for Haitian relief following an earthquake last week that levelled much of the capital, Port-au-Prince.
"It's two days of my life that I'm devoting to this, but just imagine what the first two days after the earthquake were like. We want to raise awareness and money," March said.
Though radio hosts can do voice-overs days in advance, March has no intention of doing anything of that sort.
He plans on spending all 48 hours at the radio station, beginning at 12 p.m. Thursday and lasting until Saturday.
"I don't drink coffee, but I do drink tea," he said, noting that he might also look into energy drinks.
"But if I can get lost in the work and not think about the time, I'll be fine."
Two days before March is scheduled to go on-air for the event, more than $5,000 has been raised.
The idea was to go to their sponsors in the community to see if they'd like to sponsor one hour of the broadcast for $100.
All the money goes directly to the Canadian Red Cross Haiti earthquake fund.
"People can call in here to make donations, they can go to our website, can visit our office or stop into the Red Cross," March said.
"This earthquake has immobilized everyone's mind. It's all about making sure aid gets to Haiti. We need to do something."
Throughout the broadcast, March will be getting people's thoughts on the devastation in Haiti, including Nova Scotia Premier Darrell Dexter.
March said the radio station has sent out invitations to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Governor General Michaelle Jean, who is of Haitian descent.
To make a donation, call the radio station at 667-3875, visit www.ckdh.net, or stop by the Amherst branch of the Canadian Red Cross at 16 Church St., Suite B.
rtetanish@amherstdaily.com

Organizations: Red Cross, Canadian Red Cross Haiti

Geographic location: Haiti, AMHERST, Port-au-Prince Nova Scotia

Comments

Comments

• Dad
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Mom Jeans, for every expert radio critic/CRTC specialist such as you who believes she knows what the majority of people want to hear, there is an actual majority out there who enjoy the church broadcasts and the familiar songs played on stations such as CKDH. So, you continue to listen to your Moncton station and nobody will comment on (or care about) your personal preferences.

• know it all
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

It's to bad nobody listens to CKDH

• enquiring
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

You people are eager to slam where you live and that small town way of life but from a former residents perspective you would do well to embrace the innocence that can still be found in towns like Amherst.
    I often wish my big City and its residents were more like that of my former home.

• Mom
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Unfortunately I'll bet know it all is right to a degree.
    I'd like to see the ADN to a poll to see who listens to what station.
    I listen to the local station this time of year mainly for cancellations but given the choice of CKDH or a Moncton radio station I prefer out of town channels.
    CKDH is stuck in a time warp. They play nothing current, it's the same stuff day after day.
    And really, isn't it time to get rid of that church broadcast on Sunday mornings, Roger?

• Alexis
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Way to go Dave and good luck staying awake for all those hours!

• Big A
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

CKDH is almost always on in my car. Regardless of how many or how few people actually listen to this station, why do you, Know it all, insist on bashing it. They are stepping up & doing what they can to support such a devastating tragedy. Show some respect for something in your town for once!!! Hats off to CKDH & Dave March.

• Shame on you
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Wow! Did anybody bother to read the article? This isn't about who does or doesn't listen to CKDH, or even about the Church broadcast! It's about one man trying to make a difference! I, for one, applaud the efforts of Dave March! Whether he raises $10 or $10,000 he should be very proud of his accomplishment. Way to go Mr. March!

• Johnny Fever
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Time warp? What station have you been listening to? March plays modern music...Irritating music, but modern just the same...Gone are the days when the morning man was Ian MacPhee and Geoff DeGannes did news and sports. Ah, those were the days!

• Meant to say
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I think what Mom Jeans meant to say was...congrats Dave! 48 Hours will be quite a feat!

• Another 2 Cents
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Surprise, surprise, another insightful comment from old faithful.

Well, I do listen know it all from ns, but I guess I am a nobody.

• anita
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

i listen to ckdh ,nothing wrong with the church broadcast i listen to it .dave march needs a pat on the back for doing this for a good cause,