A natural approach to combating H1N1

Raissa Tetanish

AMHERST - A little bit of oil of oregano under the tongue is said to do the trick.

Susan and James MacDonald, who run the JTW Natural Health Guidance Centre, wants people to know there is another way to combat viruses, including H1N1.
"The best thing to do is to boost your immune system, and that can be done by staying away from refined sugars," Susan said. "By drinking one bottle of pop, it kills your immune system for six hours."
Another way to boost the immune system, she said, is by an immune booster such as oil of oregano.
"I always look for a natural remedy first," she said. "About 90 per cent of people can get well naturally by using natural methods, from the common cold to terminal cancer."
Oil of oregano can be used on adults and children. On adults, the oil of oregano goes under the tongue. On children, it's rubbed on the fatty part of the bottom of the child's foot.
"I put some under my tongue at the onset of a cold, and the cold is gone within a day," said James.
"And it's nice to know that you don't have anything that's impeding your liver," added Susan.
Since the H1N1 virus has been in Cumberland County, the MacDonalds have been fielding calls and drop-ins from people concerned about what they can do to help keep the virus at bay.
"We give knowledge and guidance. We don't diagnose," said Susan. "The choice is an individual one. There are some people that will get the H1N1 vaccine, but then there's also a group of people who don't want to get it."
James said that people will always follow through on what they think is best for them, even if it's a piece of chocolate cake, but it also depends on your mental state, to which Susan agrees.
"Eighty per cent of illnesses are emotional and mental, so if you're OK emotionally and mentally, you're going to be fine. If not, it's going to affect a person moreso," she said.
rtetanish@amherstdaily.com

Organizations: JTW Natural Health Guidance Centre

Geographic location: AMHERST, Cumberland County

Comments

Comments

• Lynda
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

To JS from Amherst:

Yes, I am aware that Susan herself was terminally ill with cancer HOWEVER she must also recgonize that there are thousands of types of cancer out there and just because she beat it using alternative means, this does not make her an expert on curing cancer by way of alternative treatments alone.

I agree that there are several alternative treatments and therapies that have the potential to benefit cancer patients along-side typical medical practices however when an Oncologist asks what the hell you're thinking when you describe some of the treatments reccommended by Susan and to stop them immediately (even when that Oncologist is open to alternative and natural therapies) I think that we need to take a step back, ask more questions, do more research and look at the qualifications that any practictioner has when they are giving any type of medical advice.

• Ron
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Glad to see the ADN editing my main point out. You guys are the NAZI !

• Tommy
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

I think natural remedies are the way to go, I was in a ATV accident had really bad road rash, I was lucky to have a friend who believed in natural alternatives. my cuts were starting to get infected, after i did everything the doctor told me. 3 times a day she would change my gauze and and put 5-10 drops of pure Lavender oil mixed with olive oil, And rub/soak my wounds with that mixture. I healed up nicely and better yet not 1 scar.

• JS
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Lynda, if you weren't aware, Susan herself had terminal cancer and according to traditional doctors should have been dead many years ago. She simply didn't accept it and cured herself, so she has personal experience with this.

She is also aware of the responsibilities that go along with what she does and takes it quite seriously. At the same time, she does get results, and is a living example of alternative possibilities to traditional medicine. She knows what she's talking about.

• Lynda
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I think it's great to look at natural alternatives, especially in this day and age. My problem is with offering people (such as terminally ill cancer patients) false hope and natural remedies which may hamper their bodies and immune systems in the long run.

I just think that these practictioners need to be aware of their clients's mental state when seeking out alternative remedies. If they've run out of all options and are coming to you as their last hope, that is a huge responsibility on your part and must be treated as such.

• askhim
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Honestly, I think you CAN cure some things on your own, but when it comes to this natural this and natural that, it is BS.

Get a life and a real job!

• Ron
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I don't mean to disrespect Susan's view but I really think she is very extreme. So do natural really work? Like Lynda says, it may be too much false hope?

• Concerned
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I read the comments on here and see the same names popping up quite often. Usually with negetive comments about everything! Haven't you ever heard the old saying If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all ? Or, does it make you feel important to post these remarks? Isn't there enough negitivety in the world? How about something positive once in awhile? :)