Woman dies from injuries in MVA earlier this week

Darrell
Darrell Cole

Woman dies from injuries in MVA earlier this week

AMHERST - Beth Clinton knew something was amiss when Betty Rolfe didn't show up to work in time at the Cumberland Regional Library.

"She was on vacation for two weeks and I thought it was unusual that she was running late," said Clinton. "I called her home and they said she had already left. When we heard about the accident we were in a state of shock."

The 59-year-old Amherst woman was struck by a vehicle while crossing East Pleasant Street at the intersection of Albion Street at around 8:40 a.m. on Monday. She was taken to hospital at the Cumberland Regional Health Care Centre and transported via LifeFlight to the QEII Health Sciences Centre in Halifax, where she died Tuesday evening.

"We just can't believe it, everyone here is just in a state of shock. We really miss her," said Clinton, the head librarian.

Rolfe worked in the regional library offices on the second floor of the Four Fathers Memorial Library as a page, repairing and replacing the covers on library books while running a number of errands including trips to the post office.

"Everyone knew her at town hall and at the post office," said Clinton.

Lynn Jones worked with Rolfe since she joined the library staff in October 1973. She described Rolfe as being "one of the library girls." She had a great sense of humour and a tremendous laugh.

"We already miss her a lot," Jones said. "It's just not the same not having her around."

Jones is finding it hard without Rolfe considering they worked so closely over the last 26 years.

"She would run all sorts of errands for me without so much as a complaint," said Jones. "She really loved her job and loved coming to work. She was always so cheerful. It's been so quiet here without the last few days."

Jones described Rolfe as a huge Elvis fan and bowling was a big part of her life.

Police, who have yet to release Rolfe's name as the victim, are continuing their investigation of the incident and no decision has been made on whether charges will be laid.

There was conflicting information from witnesses to the incident and Staff Sgt. Scott White of the Amherst Police Department said Wednesday that investigating officers are still trying to sort through the information.

"We're still trying to go through it because there's conflicting information," White said.

Further details, including funeral arrangements, were not available.

dcole@amherstdaily.com

Organizations: Cumberland Regional Library, Cumberland Regional Health Care Centre, QEII Health Sciences Centre Amherst Police Department

Geographic location: MVA, East Pleasant Street, Albion Street Halifax

Comments

Comments

• Trisha
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

When I was growing up, my mother worked at the library with Betty. Whenever I went to visit Mom in the basement office under the town hall, Betty would have a sunny smile and a Hi Trish! for me. She will be missed

• Vicki
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Betty was a ray of sunshine. I will miss her smile and our daily hellos to one another. You will be missed. Rest in peace.

• christa
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Thinking of you Betty! You will be missed! COULD ALWAYS COUNT ON YOUR SMILE!! heaven is very lucky to have you..

• colton
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

im so sorry for everyones lose i myself remember her as a very nice lady :(

• Jessie
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I've know Betty and her family for the most part of my life. Betty was such a kind and special person to everyone who knew her. Her smile and laugh was contagous and such a pleasure to be around. She will be sadly missed by her friends and family. Thinking of the Rolfe Family especially her sister Vicki and Nephew Andrew who she adored.
    xo

• Greg
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

From my first day at Town Hall in Amherst until the last time I saw her - Betty's greeting was a high volume Hi Greg! followed by that one in a million laugh. Always a smile, always a laugh. It is just so hard to imagine that she is gone.

On behalf of all of us at Town Hall - our condolences to her family, her many, many friends and to her co-workers at the Cumberland Regional Library. All of you are in our thoughts and prayers.

• Rosie
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I worked with Bettie for 16 years at the library and she always could put a smile on your face and make you giggle no matter what, she would do anything for anyone, and loved to tease the mailman! She would welcome anyone with open arms and loved to be around children, and would always have kind words and lots of smiles. I miss those days and the gang so much. Rest in peace my dear, we will miss you terribly and will think of you every single day.
    Love Rosie, as Bettie called me.

• Bev
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Betty was an angel!! She was the kindest person and a heart of gold. My heart goes out to the family! God bless you Betty!

• Scooter Girl
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Betty was like everybody's sister. Always smiling, cheerful, & that laugh. Everytime I talked with her I was left with a smile on my face. What a special person, we'll miss her.....

• Danny
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

She was such a nice woman. I knew here from a young age. She was always friendly to everyone. Our community will be that much less without her. What a tragedy.

• Mom
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I didn't know Ms. Rolfe personally but I used to see her at the post office or library and she would always smile and say hello.
    As much as I'm going to miss seeing her around her co-workers are going to miss her more.
    Such a sad time for everyone.

• Don
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

The news of Betty's passing has hit me like a ton of bricks. We have known Betty for many years and she always called me by her nickname for me Bob . That trademark huge smile and great laugh will be missed by so many. Earth's loss is heaven's gain. Bless you Betty.