Warm weather and thousands of people welcome Santa

Lynn Curwin

Warm weather and thousands of people welcome Santa

TRURO - Both children and adults bundled up warmly and stood outside to enjoy
Truro's Christmas parade Saturday evening. Even the weather co-operated this year, with temperatures around eight degrees and no precipitation.
A wide variety of entries showed creativity as they fit into the Sparkle and Shine theme. There were horses, dogs, floats, vehicles, costumed characters and plenty of lights.
"I think there was a good turnout because the weather was good," said Grace Murray, marketing and promotions co-ordinator for the Downtown Truro Partnership.
"We usually average around 10,000 people. We had about 55 entries in the parade, which is about average. There were a lot of new people in it this year. We had a good cross section."
Mike Kaulback and his eight-year-old daughter Marcella were two of the many people who watched the parade.
"I think the parade was pretty good this year," said Kaulback. "I've been coming every year for quite a few years. I like it better at night."
Marcella said her favourite part of the parade was the dogs.
Amy Johnson, of Bible Hill, said she preferred daytime parades because her children are young, but she did bring them out this year anyway.
"They enjoy it," she said. "The lights do look nice at night."
Grace Murray said that one of the things she likes is that the parade brings people together in a positive way.
"There are a lot of front-line people; and then there are those who provide trucks and generators, and others who work on floats, and so forth," she said.
"It is gratifying to see the community come together."

news @trurodaily.com

Organizations: Downtown Truro Partnership

Geographic location: Colchester Community, Bible Hill

Comments

Comments

• Country
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

Thought the parade was really nice this year,and we couldnt have asked for nicer weather,thats for sure.Most of the floats were really well done,and the dogs and other livestock were really great.I think one flaw is however,the cars that were lined up on prince street.As Frank mentions,it really is a accident waiting to happen.I spoke to someone who had been driving a truck towing a float,not even a large truck,and they said that due to the vehicles parked on the street at some points there was very little clearance between the float and the parade goers.So seriously,unless people stop parking on the street,the next parade could be one to remember in a very negative way.

• L
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

The parade had some very beautiful floats this year. I can only imagine the judges dilemma when it came to selecting the winners.
    I have my questions about the Honorable mention given the time some of these people put into the entries but its ultimately the judges choice.
    Can't wait until next year, to see how creative this county and its businesses can be. It seems everyone is quickly catching on to the lights at night presentations. The entries sure have come a long way since its first year.
    Congratulations to all the winners, you're hard work has done Truro and Colchester communities PROUD.

• Daniel
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Does TJHS ever not win first overall? I think they bribe the judges. But honestly, great job TJHS you deserved it again this year. I think the key is that they always stick as close to the theme as they possibly can. Congrats, Truro, on another great parade.

• Audrey
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

As a participant I'd like to say We, the K-9 Hi Flyers had a great time and hopefully we'll be back next year

• Dick
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

A wonderful parade. Kudos to all who put it together. Suggest cars be removed from Queen Street; hard to see over them. The whole week-end was great. Such fun times in good ole Truro, a place in which to live, work and raise a family.

• Brian
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Great parade, but I totally agree with the cars parked along the streets. As for the candy, the people passing it out where we were standing came right up to the children, it was nice!

I can't wait to see if my comment will be published, have written in several times over the past while and they won't post anything I've written...starting to wonder if they refuse to post if you have an opinion that doesn't agree with theirs!!

• nicole
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

the christmas parade was so cool but sanding in the cold waiting for the parade to start was cold i cant wait for next years parade.

• Roger
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

This year's parade was one of the best parades I have seen in a very long time. The sparkle and shine theme was an excellent choice, and the floats (and participants) got in the spirit. Good to see entries from outside the area (the young band from North Sydney was a welcome surprise) Keep it at night! In fear of sounding critical, my only suggestion is to emphasise more music. There was NO music at the front of the parade what so ever. Over all, well done Truro!!

• frank
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

It's time for Truro to step up and REMOVE the cars parked on the street befor the parade .kids are trying to look around the cars hopeing to get candy.etc.. and if one of them stumble onto the road those boys in the big rigs are not gonna see them and then you have a disaster.just closed the parade route off a half hour befor the parade (mostly the one way street) Just a little thought ..enjoyed the parade

• NS Mom
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

My kids enjoyed the parade, but I think for future years, entries passing out candy should have to pass it out directly, not throw candy from cars or stand in the middle and throw it out to the sides. From where I was sitting, kids would just run out to get the candy and some of it would be very close to the vehicles. Just not a very safe idea to be throwing the candy.