Rolling up the sleeves

Darrell
Darrell Cole

H1N1 vaccines available locally

Rolling up the sleeves

SPRINGHILL - There was really no question when Adrian Baillargeon considered whether he was going to get vaccinated against the H1N1 virus.

"The danger of getting the H1N1 is much greater than any side effects could be," Baillargeon said after getting his vaccination at the Springhill Armoury on Wednesday. "There was really no question about me getting it."

Approximately 300 people flowed through the armoury on the first day of H1N1 immunization clinics in Cumberland County. When public health officials arrived early in the day to begin the clinic, they found close to 150 lined up outside the complex.

If the first day is any indication, the campaign is going to be a busy one.

"The first day has been going very well except for the long lineup. Everyone seems anxious get the vaccine," public health nurse manager Sharon Griffin said. "The response has been excellent."

A couple of weeks ago public health officials were not sure what the response would be, but with the return of the virus attitudes seem to have shifted.

For Keith Mackintosh of Amherst there's no question his family will all be getting vaccinated.

"I'm hearing of more and more people who are getting sick so why take the chance," Mackintosh said. "I'm encouraging everyone to get it because the risk of getting the disease far outweighs any chance of getting sick from the vaccine. You only hear about that on the Internet and on Facebook."

Mackintosh said he has two businesses to run and can't afford to fall ill while his wife, pharmacist Anne-Marie Mackintosh, has done all the research on the vaccine and feels it's safe.

Cumberland Health Authority spokesperson Ann Keddy said there are cases of H1N1 in the community and urged people to take the necessary precautions.

"There is definitely H1N1 in the community. We have confirmed cases and that number is changing daily. But there are other illnesses in the community as well, so people should know what the primary symptoms of H1N1 are," Keddy said.

H1N1 symptoms include a fever and cough with unusual fatigue and head, muscle and joint aches or sore throat. Symptoms such as runny nose are more often associated with a cold.

Keddy said people should keep watch for complications. They can go to the CHA's website at www.cha.nshealth.ca or the province's website at www.gov.ns.ca/H1N1 where there is information on home management of influenza, including what to look for if symptoms worsen.

If more serious conditions exist, Keddy said, the person should seek medical attention. They should identify upon their arrival that they have symptoms of H1N1 and be prepared to wear a mask to avoid spreading the virus to others.

The most important thing people can do to protect themselves, she said, is to get a vaccination. Clinics run until Nov. 28. The H1N1 vaccine is available free of charge to all Nova Scotians. Clinic dates and times are available on the government website or by calling HealthLink 811.

Amherst physician Dr. Brian Ferguson said he is seeing plenty of H1N1 in the community and suggested hysteria about the vaccine is just that.

"What is known is that this is a brand new flu virus, it's not the return of the Russian, Bangkok or Hong Kong flu. We won't have any memory bank to fight this, so the population is at risk," Ferguson said. "It's not negotiable as far as I'm concerned, everyone should get it. Do I take the flu vaccine every year? I do not. Am I taking the H1N1 vaccine? Yes, I am. There's no reason to play Russian roulette with this. There's no reason to gamble with this."

Dr. Celina White, the chair of the medical staff association at the regional hospital, is urging pregnant women to have the vaccination.

"For those women in the second and third trimesters from 20 weeks on are in the high risk category in that they have a much higher risk of developing complications they can pass on to their baby," White said. "The vaccine has been thoroughly studied an all indications are it is safe."

dcole@amherstdaily.com

Organizations: Springhill Armoury, Cumberland Health Authority

Geographic location: Amherst, Cumberland County, Bangkok Hong Kong

Comments

Comments

• scaredy cat
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Just a question.......how can we know it is safe? I see alot of usually....sometimes...rare...what are the actual risks? What about the people who had it (the virus) and are ok now? It obviously affects each person differently.... and how do you make a decision with your children when theres no proven facts....

• Jason
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

I'm more worried about what happens when they get the shot than what happens if they don't. So I'm da*ned if I do and da*ned if I don't so ya know what you keep paying your taxes for my health care bills and I'll wash my hands.

• Bob
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

...so many negative outcomes.

Where? When? Who? Give us some real details.

Don't quote YouTube as your source.

Ignorance is bliss...but sometimes ignorance is just ignorance .

• Bob
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Thanks for your statistical analysis Dr. Guy. Where did you get your degree in medicine? You obviously know more than our local doctors and all of the recognized medical world.
    I bet you think smoking risks are overblown as well.

• Bob
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

This is great. A virus that is likely to eliminate stupid people. Darwin had it right.
    Get the vaccine and stop looking for Kennedy's other killer.

• Bob
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Yes, mercury. There 1000 times more mercury in a can of tuna. Before you discount your doctor, and decide you are better educated to decide, do a little more informed research. Why did you go to the doctor in the first place if you know better?

Yes the big pharmaceutical companies will make money. Would you rather the auto makers develop the vaccine. Making money isn't a bad thing. I bet you expect to get paid for your services, efforts and experience.

• first last
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

This is a new bug, not an all new vaccine. It's no different than the annual changes for each year's seasonal flu.

Negative reactions have been increadibly few. Unfortunately they are well publicized so they just look like alot.

• Lorrie
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

I'mnot getting the shot because The presevative alone in the vaccine contains Thimerosal. Which is 49% Mercury. That can't be good.Let alone the Adjuvants, Squalene, Polysorbate 80, and Tocopherol. Not too mention the testing on the vaccine was likely done by the drug companies who stand to make Billions off of it. When I went to the health Canada website it ... Read Moresaid Studies of adverse reactions and side effects were low ENOUGH that the vaccine is deeemed safe What is their definition of Low Enough ? Also most Dr.'s are recommending it based on the fact that it was approved by the Government and they didn't do any research on it themselves or know what it contains. Ridiculous! I spoke with a Dr. the other day who had been recommending it to expecting mothers and had no idea it had Thimerosal in it (Mercury). That has been linked to Autism and other Nervous system diseases ALS, GBS etc. That can't be good for a developing fetus. Pisses me off. If you are going to take the shot based on your Dr.'s opinion , start by asking them Do you know the contents of the vaccine? if they can't answer that then discount their opinion because they haven't done any research on it and are basing their recommendation on the Government's approval of limited testing and scare campaign.

• Jack on the rocks
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Mr.Warham,I do hope you and your family do not get sick.BUT,for all the people who don't get this vaccine that is designed to help.If you get sick,don't come cryin,and you should be made to pay for any medical attention needed associated with H1N1.

• Jason
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Thankfully your taxdollars Jack will cover my medical expenses when I catch this swine flu and whenver I catch any sort of flu which undoubtedly I will at some point.

one question? who should we cry too if the vaccine sends someone into a coma?

• guy
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

copy and paste the link. watch the videos. research for yourself, don't just get a shot because the gov, or the media say you should.

• H1N1
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

It interests me about all this. How many of you people got your children vacinated after birth. Pollio, small pox, etc... How is this vaccine any different. All vaccines have some sort of side effect or risk. All perscriptions we take have some sort of side effect or risk. Everything we take into our body now a days causes some risk in devoloping something. Heck we cant even breate the air without getting something.
    Being an educator and knowing how many students are out sick in my teaching community. ( There are a LOT of them) I will be getting vaccinated. I encourage everyone else to. You can be a carrier and not know it as pass it on to others.....I would hate to find out I gave one of my students it, or visa versa.
    I feel for the parents of the 13 yr old in Ontario. Only a few days sick, no underlying conditions and dead. I bet you they wished the vaccine was out earlier....I think we all need to err on the side of caution.

• karen
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I agree with wow from springhill, what happens if the people the vaccine is made for doesnt get it because people from other parts of the province are coming to the rural town and taking away from them. Hope you guys dont feel guilty if someone from that rural town dies from H1N1 because you took away from them .

• karen
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

read this article and then figure out for yourself if you want the vaccine or not

• Info

There is 237 mg of Thimerosal in the vaccine
    1kg = 1,000g = 1,000,000mg
    Thus 237mg = 0.000237kg

To excced the Maximum safe dosage of Ethyl Mercury concentration, you would have to get 421 injections of the H1N1 vaccine. You probably get more mercury in your diet from eating fish on a regular basis (especially if you sport fish).

• Bob

Mike,
    increased chance of stroke, heart attack, high blood pressure.... These are also indicators of sexual activity. Stop sex, it could kill you.

My point is anything you take, natural or manufactured will have side effects. Eating tomatoes can cause harmful sores in mouth and gums.

• wow
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

the turn out was great for the first day but it would have gone a little easier if people from halifax and NB would wait until they can get there shots at there place instead of here... the shots are going to different areas so why hold up the line even further...

• Bob
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

...so many negative outcomes.

Where? When? Who? Give us some real details.

Don't quote YouTube as your source.

Ignorance is bliss...but sometimes ignorance is just ignorance .

• Michael
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I got my Swine Flu info straight from Health Canada including: no clinical experience yet in the elderly, in children or in adolescents , side effects that may occur with up to 1 in 1000 doses Allergic reactions leading to a dangerous decrease of blood pressure, which, if untreated, may lead to shock. , and may occur with up to 1 in 10,000 doses... Read More kidney problems ... Neurological disorders such as encephalomyelitis (inflammation of the central nervous system), neuritis (inflammation of nerves) and a type of paralysis known as Guillain-Barré Syndrome .

See for yourself at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/legislation/interimorders-arretesurgence/prodinfo-vaccin-eng.php

• askhim
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I am scared of a reaction to this vaccine. It is new, brand new.

There have been so many negative outcomes to getting it, that they void each other out.

• Bob
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Karen: you read it on the Internet so it must be true. Is Elvis still alive? They didn't really land on the moon did they? Obama is really a terrorist!

It's all there on the net so it must be true!

Come on...

• guy
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Deaths have also been increadibly few. Unfortunately they are well publicized so they just look like a lot.

• guy
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Hi Bob, just curious what did you take to prevent the other pandemics? how long you we in a healthcare facility from the other pandemics that the media and healthcare facilities told us were going to cause mass casualties?
    I simply said get the vaccine if you want. you can still get the flu even if you get the shot, as well, you may not get the flu either way. No doctor anywhere is saying you'll definately get the flu if you don't get the shot, No doctor is saying if you get the flu you will definately die. Y know there have been thousands of people who have contracted h1n1 and got over it without the shot like the regular flu, but their story just isn't as interesting as the minute number of people who have died. And Bob, of course smoking is bad for you and it kills thousands more than the h1n1 has or will.

• guy
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Same stats canada site says 89 confirmed h1n1 deaths this year. 30 million people in Canada, meaning you have a 1 in 337078 chance of dying because of h1n1. you apparently have a far greater chance of side effects which includes death. People quickly make the mistake of thinking just because they get the vaccine, the can't/won't get the flu.
    So get it if you want, youll probably be ok though, did you get a vaccine for avian flu? SARS? West nile virus? your still alive arn't ya? Although this close to halloween, there could be a bunch of mindless zombies reading the daily news.

• Jack on the rocks
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Hey Warham,if anything,think about your kids.Because if you don't get the shots and something happens(god forbid)you'll be doin some crying then,and there will be only one person to blame.

• Michael

Bob,

The document I referred to was the Product Information Leaflet that comes with the vaccine, so NO it does not tell you to get the vaccine, it assumes you already made that decision. (You would have known this if you bothered to look at it.) This prooves, once again, that you refuse to look at any information with an open mind.

BTW, not all doctors are for this. The local doctor for my wife and daughter says there is no need and we should not bother to get the vaccine.

I am sure you will attack/ignore this information as well. Have a nice day, Bob

• Dirk
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

The vaccine is not new. It has been used in Asia for some time now. Get your facts straight and get vaccinated.

• Jason
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

There is no question my family will not be getting vaccinated.

• DISAPPOINTED
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

my opinion is this shot is all a joke.I left work to go get one and there were people there who weren't even from our town,and to top it off they turned people away before the clinic was to be closed for the day.WOW..they worked for a whole 4 hrs out of the 6 that they will get paid for!THE vaccine should be given to people who work in factories,warehouses etc,not people who go out once a month.This was badly/poorly planned.I wasn't offered the shot,and I work in a place where it can be spread,and if one of us get it then the rest do,and people outside of our workplace,so this is where the first priority should have been,not to people who have no contact with the outside world,just once a month.this is what upsets me.now I will go again tomorrow only to be turned away.HEY,I am not going to chase after anyone for a shot.I am at the point where I say the heck with it!IF I get it,there is no way that I will stay in my home just to protect others from the disease,when the doors were closed in our faces.

• Bob

Mike,
    That document does tell you to get the vaccine, right? That Health Canada document you want to paraphrase and quote the dangers from tells you TO GET the vaccine.

Right? Enough said!

• Michael
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Bob, you obviously did not read my post or the information from Health Canada carefully. You try to attack one point I presented, ignoring all others, and then compare the vaccine to tomatoes? I will not argue with about the safety of sex or tomatoes. I have presented facts, and the source from which they were found, Health Canada.