Giving and receiving

Monique Chiasson

Donations of clothing, small household items being taken this week for Open Closet

TRURO - Two local churches are hoping residents in the community will open their closets to both offer and receive.
Open Closet is an initiative by Immanuel and First Baptist churches encouraging people to donate gently used clothing and small household items that will be made available to others in the community, free of charge.
The event will be held Oct. 30 from 9 to 11:30 a.m. in First Baptist Church's basement.
"This is for everyone, not just the needy," said Lynne Crozier, one of the people helping with the project.
"I've been through difficult times and I realized you don't need to be poor to need things," she said.
As the word spreads donations are beginning to arrive, including dishes, irons and clothing, to name a few. Crozier said clothing for all ages, male and female, are requested, especially for babies and children. Blankets, towels, bedding and curtains are also encouraged.
Open Closet began in the early 1990s when the youth group at Immanuel Baptist Church came up with the idea. A few years later one of the church's Bible study groups took over and eventually the church partnered with First Baptist.
"Last year there were hundreds and hundreds of items," said Crozier, who has helped with the project for about eight years.
"It's also great for being green and recycling ... and for people who come because they feel somebody cares and that's important."
Crozier said the only stipulation is that people do not claim items for the purpose of reselling them. Items that do not find a new home will be donated to the Colchester Community Workshops.
Volunteers are welcome to help set up at First Baptist Church Oct. 29 in the morning.

mchiasson@trurodaily.com

Organizations: First Baptist Church, Immanuel Baptist Church, Colchester Community Workshops

Comments

Comments

• Cathy
    January 18, 2010 - 10:16

Not sure things came across right in this article, this event is for the needy, it has been going on for several years and has always had a positive result.

FYI: Sam did you know that CCW destroys most of the clothes that come in there and sell lots of good clothes for rags

• H
    January 18, 2010 - 10:14

I Just wanted to agree that, while the idea of supporting each other is an good one, we don't need to be seperated into needy and not poor . I think we should give to people who really need the items, but avoid words that create an us and them mentality. That is what bothers me about this article, and the idea in general.

• J.
    January 18, 2010 - 10:09

Another brilliant idea from the church! Good work.......... /sarcasm

• BJ
    January 18, 2010 - 09:57

I'm sorry Dck. I'm sure it's successful but what's worthy in a free-for-all and the leftovers get trucked to the (the other 'N' word) people?

If you're gong to help the 'N' then do it... don't give it to them after the good stuff's been picked through. Put yourself in the 'N' person's shoes who might even show at the event...

People just hanging on amongst the bargain hunters in SUVs... who gets what? What does the 'N' person need to do to get preference for something they really need vs the bargain hunter's want?

Try this next year... Sell the stuff cheap first to the bargain hunters at the church so they can help and then donate the proceedngs... then ship the rest of the inventory down. This way the event can truly have an overall giving to the 'N' people. That would be the spirit

• BJ
    January 18, 2010 - 09:44

First, the article sad it's for 'everyone' and the 'needy' (Man hate that term). Give away anythng business s gonna boom.

You'll need to define 'positive' for who is all I'm saying for this one. Didn't help you're comment to dis the CCW either.

• BJ
    January 18, 2010 - 09:42

For me it was the part... '...you dont need to be poor to need things' that just doesn't sit well....

• Dick
    January 18, 2010 - 09:40

I hope bloggers remember that much work goes into a project like this. It is wonderful to share. Most folks have extras which can be made available to others. Let's keep in mind the spirit of this project and together help make it a success. Truro is a community of special people, a place to be proud of and hopefully people will donate much for the success of this worthy cause.

• BJ
    January 18, 2010 - 09:38

This one seems a little weird. If it's not just for the needy then it's for the bargain hunters and the LEFTOVERS go to the needy. I've never heard of this before but I suspect it's been very successful... what you have is a free Frenchy's or Louis' . As a church goes, I'm not sure what's in it for the community.

• Sam
    January 18, 2010 - 09:38

Wow ... that is a little bit strange if you ask me. When I donate things I do so to help those who are well .... needy. I think I'll just continue to donate my goods directly to the Colchester Community workshop directly as at last that way I know my donations will go to those in need and not someone whose simply recycling .

Might sound harsh but I'll donate my stuff to those who REALLY need it any day of the week. Those who want to recycle can do so at other organized events.