Care to prepare

Raissa Tetanish

Veterinary clinics celebrating Animal Health Week

Care to prepare

AMHERST - It's all about keeping your pets healthy, from their teeth down to their toes.

In celebration of that, the Amherst Veterinary Hospital is recognizing Animal Health Week, whose slogan is "care to prepare," until Saturday.
"Animal Health Week started with the national (veterinary) association because we wanted to let the public know what we do," said Dr. Boyd Taylor, owner and operator of the local clinic.
"And we're trying to let people know what else we can do for their animals."
While vaccines are the top priority at the clinic, it also promotes products for deworming, fleas and illnesses such as the Parvovirus, which the hospital is educating the public on.
With four incoming lines at the animal hospital, clients with questions will be able to find the answers they're looking for from the staff.
"Not only does it give the chance for the public to focus on healthy animals, it gives the staff a chance to focus on it too, and for them to say, 'We're doing a good job and we need to continue to do a good job,'" said Taylor.
Mary Lusby, the head receptionist, said the staff is constantly educating themselves, not just the public, by attending courses on products available, blood work and food as examples, and turning that information around for their clients.
"We don't mind answering questions," Lusby said, adding one client heard about the recent cases of Parvovirus the hospital has seen and asked for more information.
When she got the information on the illness, the woman took it upon herself to create and post flyers in her own community, said Lusby.
By doing so, she may have been able to keep fellow community members' pets healthy.
Having just come off a conference on chronic pain in pets, Dr. Taylor said it's never an easy decision for a pet owner to make, nor is there a right time to make it.
"Animal Health Week is also about promoting what a professional can do to make the animal's life more fulfilled," he said, noting that many pet owners when faced with that decision wait a while before making it.
For more information on making your pet's life a healthy one, contact the animal hospital at 667-8405.
rtetanish@amherstdaily.com

Organizations: Amherst Veterinary Hospital

Geographic location: AMHERST

Comments

Comments

• Concerned Animal Lover
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Interesting picture. Obviously pets don't need the same sterile conditions that humans do during surgery. I would have thought that the vet would have covered her head and that the tech would have been properly gloved and gowned. I hope that poor cat doesn't end up with a severe infection.

• Grossed Out
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Why doesn't the tech have on scrubs? I can just see it now...I surgeon going into the Or with his jeans on because it is Casual day. yup...purely pathetic

• amherstguy
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Nice going concerned, askhim, grossed out, and alexis. A picture and story about two concerned workers doing great work and you comment on their clothing. I am assuming that the bluejeans do come in handy when crawling around the floor cleaning up after their clients. Stick to Jerry Springer re-runs. Your time and energy will be better appreciated there.

Vet staff, keep up the great work. The majority of us do appreciate the work and dedication that you show to our animals each day. Take the comments above and do the same as most of us, laugh them off. Hardly worth the read, except for entertainment.

• askhim
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Concerned Animal Lover, I completely agree. This is discusting. Animals should have the same treatment, especially when it comes to a surgical procedure for an animal or a human.

I also got my cat fixed and de-clawed in Sackville, which was a LOT cheaper and she was fine after and still is, years later.

• LICK'EM
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I work at the hospital, and you can be darn sure that any nurse, casual day or not, DO NOT wear jeans in the OR. Gimme a break!!!!!!

It is a sterile environment, and yes, people do lay on a cold table in the OR. ITS STERILE...
    Like I'd want to see a blue nautical beach towel under me, as I lay there for hemmoroid surgery.

You can't put a price on people's little
    Pa-ussy's...c'mon.

• Concerned continued
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Wow! I should have looked closer the first time! I just noticed the Fly Swatter on the wall. Now that is completely UNSANITARY!

• Kelly
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

My question to you all is, how much do you love your pet. It should not matter how much a procedure costs, or how much you spend for advice. If you want your animal treated properly or advice on a condition the cost should not consider into it. Animals are treated properly, promptly, and curtiously. If you must bicker the cost of a operation that your pet should have, then you do not deserve to have an animal.

• joe
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Dear concerned and ask him: you look at a picture and u think u know everything...did u see the vet using the fly swatter during the operation. Better yet why not dress the vet and the assist. in biohazard suits. And who gives a crap if u went to sackville vet.

• Alexis
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I agree with those who commented about the non-sterile environment. If the cat does get an infection, the owner will pay for that treatment as well. We should demand better from those who we pay to provide this service.

• for the love of
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I have no problem paying money for treatment for my pets IF they come home with the problem fixed. I can honestly say that for the most part I've had good caring service here in town, but after taking one sick dog there and not having the hundreds of dollars to pay for the treatment, I was rudely asked by a clerk (who does not work there any longer) if I could borrow money from somebody to pay for it when I asked if arrangements could be made - I took the dog out of there immediately and treated her at home myself.
    I now go to Sackville with my pets, it seems more personal over there and less like a 'business'....
    as far as the tech being dressed properly - you can be damm sure that casual day the nurse's in the OR at the local hospital aren't in jeans without gloves even though they 'assist and observe' - if she is assisting, does she not have to pick up instruments to hand them to the vet?
    last time I checked the patients at the hospital layed on a sterile table with no beach towels underneath them....I actually think that the picture was in bad taste to begin with and the message could have gotten across with a simple pic of a happy healthy cat post op.
    How about one day a year the vet clinic offers free sterilization for cats for those that cannot afford it - with the vets donating their time and the clinic donating the space... - proof being given of course.......that might cut down a bit on the cats at the shelter and living on the streets - small step, but something that might be worth looking into.....now that would be a story for the front page....

• anonymous
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

The cat looks fine. We had two of our cats spayed and one neutered at the Amherst Vet clinic and had no problem To put things into perspective this is a cat and this is not suppose to be the Mao Clinic.

• Not Concerned...
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I believe that too many of you watch ER shows on Television. As it is clearly pointed out the fly swatter is not being used in the sugery, as well if you look closely the vet preforming the sugery is wearing all proper protective clothing. As for the technician, it is casual day...who cares if she does not have scrubs on, they do not participate, just observe and assist. The Amherst Vet Hospital has always been kind and curtious to myself as well as my pets and I would not consider taking my animals anywheres else when they are in need !!!

• russian princess
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I've actually had the opportunity to sit in on a number of veterinary surgeries, both here in Nova Scotia and Ontario. Here, the veterinarian had the technician in the room, in Ontario they did not. The veterinarians had their instruments at their side, and didn't need assistance in having an instrument handed to them.

Of the cat declaw, cat neuter, cat spay and dog spay I've seen firsthand, each of the animals was laid on one towel, if not two, on the table. Whether they were beach towels, or regular household towels, I couldn't tell you, nor do I know why they place them on the towels. Both provinces also wrap the animals up in towels following the surgeries, I'm assuming to keep the animal's body temperature at a normal level.

Not everything between a human procedure and one at an animal hospital are done equally. Humans aren't tied down on the table are they? No, but animals are because if the anesthetics wear off during the procedure, the animals can seriously hurt themselves, or anyone else around including the veterinarian because they won't know where they are or what's going on.

And yes, I am an owner of an animal, and consider her to be a member of the family.

• NewToNovaScotia
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I have just moved here recently and have only been to the amherst clinic a few times, but as for bickering about money, any clinic is goign to cost you money, and try going to halifax or out west to a clinic then talk about prices here!! I think your lucky to get the treatment at the costs you recieve here! I was excited to get my bill after my pet had surgery here compared to elsewhere!! If your not willing to pay to have your animal taken care of then you dont deserve to have an animal!!!

As for the sterility, I agree the assistant isn't participating in the surgery so why does she need gloves on? And the vet looks sterile, do we even know what the true sterile techniques are?! Im sure the people hthere know way more then we do! And as for going to sackville, maybe they are good there too, but have you ever been in the surgery room or watched your animal get surgery there?!? You have no idea what the vet is wearing in there, or what is hanging on their wall!! And the beach towel?? What should the animal be laying on?! A cold table?!

In my opinion, they did a fine job on my animals..i had 2 fixed there, no problems at all, and I think all you people whining about one single photo and not knowing exactly what goes on there, need to give your head a shake!!

I had 2 great experiences there and plan to continue to take my pets there for many more!! Im glad I found a clinic here I am happy with!

• perplexed
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

It may not be the mayo clinic but with some of the prices they charge it might as well be - I spent over $500 one day there and had I listened to their advice, could have spent three times that - turns out some gravol and some pedialyte fixed my dog up just fine after we got home.
    If the prices were more reasonable, more people might be inclined to have their pets spayed or neutered -
    but I have to ask? is that a beach towel the cat is laying on? and yes, it may 'only be a cat', but when you entrust your pet, you do expect sterile conditions - the tech has no gloves on either....
    I've noticed that the clinic has been in the paper several times lately - telling us how we can spend our money there.

• askhim
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

To Joe, you sir, are an idiot. Would you like a fly swatter laying around you if you were in surgery? I sure as heck wouldn't.

It's not just a cat it's someones family member. And I would not want myself or a family member treated this unprofessionally.

PATHETIC!