Mom worried about daughters safety

Harry Sullivan

Mom worried about daughters safety

TRURO - Robyn Green shudders as she considers the potential dangers her twin daughters face if they are left to walk to and from their bus stop.
"There's no sidewalks," she said, of the short stretch of road between Deuville's rink and her house several driveways away on Harmony Road. "They drive like 80 clicks (kilometers per hour) up that road."
Although a new sidewalk is being constructed in the area, it is only being extended as far as Deuville's rink, which offers absolutely no benefit to her daughters.
And while the distance the nine-year-olds must walk along the edge of the road is only about one-tenth of a kilometre, Green said the roadway is too narrow to provide any degree of safety for her daughters.
Her desired solution is to simply have her daughters picked up and dropped off at their own driveway. But Green said that option was turned down by the bus officials she spoke with at the Chignecto-Central Regional School Board.
"And their exact words are: 'we are not a door-to-door service,'" she said, of the reaction to her proposal.
"Why do my kids need to have this risk?" she asks, of the possibility of them being struck by a vehicle.
"It's a rule," she said, of the board's bus-stop policy. "Rules are put in place to be adapted accordingly. It's not a law."
To help avoid the possibility of the girls being struck by a vehicle, Green, who is attending the Nova Scotia Community College, said she pays someone to have them picked up daily at the bus stop.
But she believes it is an expense and an aggravation that just is not necessary.
"It's makes no sense," she said. "And it's not bad now but wait until it snows. There's no room to walk (without actually being on the road)."
School board spokeswoman Carolyn Pierce acknowledged the issue is "an unfortunate situation" for Green and her daughters. But she said school bus drivers are governed under the Nova Scotia Motor Carriers Act as to how many stops are permitted along each route.
After receiving a call from Green to the board's transportation department on Monday, Pierce said, officials are taking the matter under consideration.
"We are looking into it," she said.

hsullivan@trurodaily.com

Organizations: Nova Scotia Community College, Central Regional School Board

Geographic location: Harmony Road, Chignecto, Nova Scotia

Comments

Comments

• robyn
    January 18, 2010 - 10:14

I would like to clarify a few things on here...first of all dime bag I have no clue what that is..so I would say those comments are coming from someone much more experienced them I am! Next the reason my kids need to walk on the traffic side of the road is because there is no where to walk on the other side, other then right on the main road, the trailer park is located there but there are no other children being dropped off there so why would only a few doors up make a difference when it comes to a childs safety. I would like to thank Charinator for defending me and not knowing who I am, its nice to know that there are still a few decent people around who do not take an innocent cry for help and turn it into a rag fest that has nothing at all to do with what the story is about! I how ever do learn very quickly and will fight this one out silently through whatever channels need be to make sure my children are safe and will not ask for any public assisstance in continuing with this, I did not realize how uncaring people have become. Its sad when my childrens safety is based upon people who mis read prevoius articles and added imformation that is not true!

• Angelia
    January 18, 2010 - 10:12

I walked that road everyday as a kid going to and from the bus stop. It was not that busy of a road and people were cautious of kids walking up. I will add that was 10 + years ago. I must agree with the majority of comments made back in my time we were dropped off at the end of the road and had to walk up. I grew up in the trailer court and not only walked it for school bus pick and drop off but I delivered the local news paper in all weather. I never had a problem and I think kids need to stop being coddled these days and should be taught how to react to situations life with force them to encounter.

• Kathy
    January 18, 2010 - 10:07

I have been following these postings and must say I am somewhat disturbed by the comfort some people have at trashing others online. A sign of our times for sure!
    I believe Ms. Green had her day in court and was NOT charged with any drug offenses.
    As someone who was present when her twins were born, I assure you Robyn is a wonderful parent.
    A single parent who has returned to college to educate herself and make a better life for her family should be applauded for her efforts not treated as she has been on some of these postings.
    Her concern has been and will remain for the safety of her children.
    If vehicles hit pedestrians on a regular basis at well-lit, marked cross-walks, what stops one from striking a child along this stretch of road?
    I sincerely hope our school board has the safety of all children in their jurisdiction in mind and will reconsider their stand on this issue.

• Investimigator
    January 18, 2010 - 10:05

Maybe it's not the same Robyn Green as the dope house? Heck, when I Googled Robyn Green and Truro, I got a court document, some news articles, etc that associate that Robyn with a convicted and repeat extremely violent offender. Clearly someone associated with the man named in those documents and articles is not someone who cares about their children.

So, like I said - must be a different Robyn Green.

• irritated
    January 18, 2010 - 10:05

Just wondering if the mother that looks out for her children would be getting the
    same reaction f her name was Betty Boop or Jane doe ....remember people not all peoples dirty laundry is hung out but we all have it

• Brian
    January 18, 2010 - 09:53

Did she take her children's safety seriously when she was charged with selling illegal cigarettes from their home? Or when her partner was pled guilty to possession of marijuana for the purpose of trafficking? Was this business being run out of the same house where her children were living? Or is
    Investimigator from NS right when he said this must be a different Royn Green?

• Betty Boop
    January 18, 2010 - 09:46

can i get that dime sack?

• The Shadow
    January 18, 2010 - 09:44

THIS is the article to which they refer:

Couple sentenced for pot, illegal smokes

TRURO A Harmony man who pleaded guilty to possessing marijuana for the purpose of trafficking, was given a one-year conditional sentence on Wednesday.
    Greg Ross Withrow, 36,of 74 Harmony Rd., must spend the first six months of his sentence under house arrest after pleading guilty to possessing 72.9 grams of marijuana. Conditions of his sentence permit him to be outside his house for lawn maintenance purposes. He has been banned from possessing or using firearms for 10 years.
    Withrows common-law spouse, Robin Elizabeth Green, 34, was fined $986 after pleading guilty to possessing illegal
    cigarettes.
    A search of the couples property on Jan. 15 by a police dog turned up 29 bags totaling 5,800 cigarettes.

• Ryan
    January 18, 2010 - 09:43

Good Point people do drive rather fast down harmony road but what about the cec kids that have to get off at the bottem of the road and walk to the top how are they at less risk than others? kids these days need more exercise having them dropped at the ends of driveways costing more tax dollars and wasting others time. bus drivers are under paid as it is.

• Joanne
    January 18, 2010 - 09:41

Charinator....perhaps there are people aware of the lifestyle choices these kids have been subjected to and are merely speaking out.

• BJ
    January 18, 2010 - 09:40

Holy crap!

Some mother expresses a (legitmate) concern about a certain stretch of road to school... and THESE are the responses...???

Let's put it this way... some of the posters actually have driver's licenses and frequently travel Harmony road... need she say more?