The British are coming

Dave
Dave Mathieson

The British are coming

If residents seemed a little disoriented after seeing British redcoats marching down the streets of Amherst, there was no need to worry. The soldiers stood at attention on

Victoria Street before entering the Amherst Cenotaph and firing their guns in unison. It was all part of a historical reenactment as 40 soldiers, infantry and their families set up camp at the Amherst Curling Club and went on a march Saturday at about noon.

Organizations: Amherst Curling Club

Geographic location: Amherst, Victoria Street

Comments

Comments

• amherstguy
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Again, know it all, there is soooo much substance in your comments. Maybe we should tear up all of the ball fields, soccer fields, rinks , ect. and let those kids stay home and be looked after by their parents as well. I think all of the readers really know who should get a life.....

• Good
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

These patrols should help curb the vandalism in the downtown area.

• Robert
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

What a wonderful event! Thanks Terry, Pat and everyone else who helped make it possible. I sincerely hope to see this group back again next year.

• shananigans
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Really nice to see things happening in Amherst. Keep it coming. And on the skateboard part issues. Friends of my daughter were kicked out of a downtown parking lot over the weekend for skateboarding. On Sunday I was amused and saddenend all at the same time to see three young men, 13 yrs old maybe, skateboarding on the front sidewalk of a local Funeral Home. We need a skateboarding park desparately. And Kudos to the town for tearing up the brick, planting a tree, planting sod, and erecting signs beside downtown Tim Hortons.

• Amherst
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

When I saw them first I thought it was the Amherst Police SWAT unit....

• Tanya
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I cant believe people are telling kids to skateboard in thier driveways. I mean even Sackville has skateboard park. My children are only 10 and 7 and I do all I can to make sure they have the things they need and as well make sure they are having fun and as well safe. Why is this such an issue? There seems to be money for everything else. Skateboarders are just having fun and I think its amazing the talet they have. Give them a break and build a park for them instead the beating them down all the time. So they dont chose to play baseball, soccer, or hockey, who cares. Let them have clean safe fun while they are young. Isnt it our responsibility as adults to make sure our youth are safe?

• know it all
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Again the skateboard park come into every comment section . do any of you people with kids that skateboard have a DRIVEWAY ? seriously - come on - get a life - maybe it time to start looking after YOUR own kids

• anita
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

it was a very interesting event.my brother pat melanson andhis wife celia were there playing the music dressed in the red coats.shooting of the cannon at robs park and the demonstration at the tourist bureau was awesome.