GUELPH, Ont. - The finalists in the 2009 Canadian Culinary Book Awards were announced Tuesday by its sponsors, Cuisine Canada and the University of Guelph.
The winners, along with the new Hall of Fame Culinary Book Award, will be presented Nov. 6, the opening day of the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair, in Toronto.
Shortlisted in the English Cookbook Category are:
- "The Complete Canadian Living Baking Book: The Essentials of Home Baking" by Elizabeth Baird (Transcontinental Books).
- "Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, With Recipes" by Jennifer McLagan (McClelland & Stewart Ltd).
- "Small Plates for Sharing" by Laurie Stempfle, Editor (Company's Coming Publishing Ltd.).
Shortlisted in the English Special Interest Category, books about food but not only cookbooks, are:
- "Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China" by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid (Random House Canada).
- "Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood" by Taras Grescoe (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.).
In the Canadian Food Culture Category, three books that best illustrate Canada's rich culinary heritage and food culture have been shortlisted:
- "A Taste of Canada: A Culinary Journey" by Rose Murray (Whitecap Books Ltd.).
- "Apples to Oysters: A Food Lover's Tour of Canadian Farms" by Margaret Webb (Penguin Group Canada).
- "Anita Stewart's Canada" by Anita Stewart (HarperCollins).
The competition is also open to Canadian French-language books. The French Cookbook Category finalists are:
- "Gibier a poil et a plume: decouper, appreter et cuisiner" par Jean-Paul Grappe (Les Editions de l'Homme).
- "Ricardo: parce qu'on a tous de la visite: cuisiner en toutes circonstances" par Ricardo (Les Editions La Presse).
- "Les secretes des sauce reveles" par Jerome Ferrer (Les Editions La Presse).
Shortlisted in the French Special Interest Category, books about food but not cookbooks, are:
- "Manger, Un jeu d'enfant" par Guylaine Guevremont and Marie-Claude Lortie (Les Editions La Presse).
- "Repertoire des fromages du Quebec, Edition augmentee" by Richard Bizier and Roch Nadeau (Les Editions du Trecarre-Groupe Librex Inc.).
- "Les vins du nouveau monde, Volume 2" by Jacques Orhon (Les Editions de l'Homme).
The finalist in the French Canadian Food Culture Category is "Quebec capitale gastronomique" by Anne L. Desjardins (Les Editions La Presse).