Skatepark study meeting planned

Staff ~ The Amherst News

AMHERST - The next and final skateboard park feasibility study public meeting with LANDinc will be held Thursday, Sept 10, at the Tantramar Theatre from 6-9 p.m.

The meeting is an interactive design workshop and will focus on input from skateboard-BMX enthusiasts. It will speak directly to skatepark design elements to generate a short-list of design wishes.

Organizations: Tantramar Theatre

Geographic location: AMHERST

Comments

Comments

• ras
    January 18, 2010 - 11:13

There's times when positive things come from this blog, but unfortunatley, as this one has, they start out with people that have no life, no clue and no facts. It's a shame when uneducated people have nothing better to do than post negative comments that have no value what so ever. Too bad small minds can only see the park and not all the great spinoffs that will develope because of it. It's narrow minds like this that hold things back and keep things from developing and moving forward. Amherst is a great place to live and we should be very proud to call Amherst home.

• Tim
    January 18, 2010 - 11:12

What is the deal with thinking that a skate park is going to cause a huge boom in the drug trade.I know for a fact that some of our past Amherst Ramblers were big skate boarders and most of them were probably the most upstanding kids you will ever meet. I'm pretty sure Tony Hawk isn't a big pot head. I don't think some small minded people realize what kind of shape and how much dedication it takes for some of these kids to become good at skateboarding. I tried it as a kid and I challange anyone who might think it's an easy sport to master while your stoned or not to give a try. One tip where lots of padding. I Don't have a problem with some of my tax dollars going for something that either one of my kids might get some enjoyment at least then they wont have to worry about hanging around downtown and having Bernie trying to bum money off of them for another can of Lysol

• Gerard
    January 18, 2010 - 11:06

I'm not sure how many of you remember this, but the old high school chemistry teacher was quite the skateboarder when he was there - and quite the triathloneer, additionally.

So who better for the kids to look up to - someone who's JOB it is to say Hey kids, stay in school!

• Sk8r's
    January 18, 2010 - 11:06

To What a waste:
    The only waste of time is the time you took to write such an idiotic, negative statement.
    Mayor & council have done a great job so
    far. They are doing what needs to be done to make our town vital, vibrant & a place where people will want to bring their families to live.
    And since you obviously haven't been paying attention, the plan is to minimize
    the impact on the taxpayer.
    BTW - ever hear of upper case letters, punctuation, spell check?????

• peter
    January 18, 2010 - 11:00

I think we do need a skateboard park for the youth in Amherst. They have parks in other communities our size. I have grand kids who love skateboarding and I am sure they are not in the drug trade, as per comment from what a wates of taxes .

If we want to be a youth friendly town we have to keep up with other communities. We have lots of activities for our senior population and middle age population, so lets spend some money on this segement of our society. From what I understand it will cost now where near 4 to 5 hundred thousand.

• Josh
    January 18, 2010 - 10:49

Dear What a Waste- you are a waste of space and my reading your comment has made temporarily almost as stunned as you are. First off, Mr. Mayor has done an amazing job since beginning his work here in Amherst. When have we seen such new ideas and enthusiasm in the past?
    It is clear by your only in Amherst eh comment that from the get-go you have no faith in this town and no matter what anyone did to try to imporive it, you would complain. Here is a suggestion: move away from Amherst eh and be the mayor of Unintelligentville and be negative all day!

p.s. When spelling a town or a place- you capitalize the first letter, that means its a BIG letter not a small one FYI

• Where's The Beef
    January 18, 2010 - 10:47

I have yet to hear anyone including Robert Bird explain where the funds went that were raised from the last attempt to build a skate board park. It is my understanding that several thousand dollars may have been raised by a local business owner approximately 8 years ago. My question is since the funds were donated for this reason, can they still be utilized.

• Old Wise Owl
    January 18, 2010 - 10:46

Seems to me that the kids today are always looking for someone to entertain them. when I was a kid we made our own fun and played outside till dark. the town done nothing for us and we did just fine on our own. Time for kids to start using their own imagination hide and seek, jacks, marbles, kick the can all these things kept us busy at no cost.

• Lucky
    January 18, 2010 - 10:42

Just what the kids need! Anyone who thinks differenty is probably not from Amherst or do not pay ANY taxes at all! (you know who you are)
    THANK YOU Council for doing the things that should have been done years ago!
    This Town is starting to take shape.

• Mark
    January 18, 2010 - 10:38

Amherst could certainly use a skate park and it would not be a waste of money. Anything to get people away from the computer chair, or out from in front of the TV and outside - that's a good investment. What a waste must have been beat up by a skate boarder or something when he was a kid.