Jackson calls-out Baillie’s attendance record

Christopher
Christopher Gooding

Opening of campaign office leads to questions of presence

Cumberland South Liberal candidate Kenny John Jackson opened his Springhill campaign headquarters Tuesday night.

SPRINGHILL – The Cumberland South campaign trail is heating up with the official opening of Liberal candidate Kenny John Jackson’s campaign office, but for the Springhill Police Officer and private business owner, the campaigning started almost three years ago.

Jackson is looking to unseat incumbent MLA and Progressive Conservative Party leader Jamie Baillie. It’s been a two-year mission since losing the October 2010 by-election to replace PC Murray Scott to the party leader, and Jackson said Tuesday his record show he’s been anything but idle during that time.

“People have been watching over the last few year and it’s funny. I’ve been knocking on doors and people have been telling me they have been watching me,” Jackson said. “They’ve learned. They believe in me. They know it would have been just as easy to call it a day after the by-election.”

Instead, Jackson said, he went to work sending letters and information to department ministers about local issues, like the incomplete school construction in River Hebert, a passing lane in front of the Advocate Harbour school and needed repairs to the Lynn Mountain bridge.

While campaigning door-to-door with his wife Marry-Anne, Jackson’s work ethic after the 2010 by-election is now an icebreaker when meeting people.

“She says, “Kenny just hasn’t realized he didn’t win the by-election. We have to tell him he didn’t win the by-election. He thinks he’s the MLA,” Jackson said.

Jackson recognizes taking on a party leader is a challenge, but doesn’t expect it to be anymore of a challenge for the candidates running against the remaining party leaders.  If anything, Jackson said the election call is a chance for constituents to register how they feel they’ve been represented.

“He is the leader of the Conservative party, but the biggest factor is people are telling me he isn’t around. He hasn’t been around over the last three years.” Jackson said. “To be respectful, he is the leader and he’s trying to rebuild his party and he needs to be in more places than this riding.”

From the audience that gathered at his Springhill headquarters, however, Jackson drew applause retelling what he is hearing from constituents.

“They’ve had enough. They’ve had enough with the NDP. They’ve had enough with the local MLA that is never here. They’re tired of calling, no answer. No response to their calls and nothing is being done.”

In the weeks leading up to the writ, signs promoting Jackson starting popping up both in Springhill and in the riding when the election call was anything but a sure thing. It could be a sign either the riding is ready to change its stripes or that dissension will be more obvious in the future.

Jackson’s betting on change.

“I’ve had so many people at the door tell me ‘I didn’t vote for you last time Kenny but I’m voting this time.’”

In the 2010 by-election Baillie claimed 57 per cent of the vote here in Cumberland South, followed by Jackson with 38 per cent and five per cent to the NDP candidate Scott McKee.

Also campaigning in this year’s election against Jackson and Baillie is the Cumberland South NDP riding association’s president Larry Duchesne.

Organizations: MLA and Progressive Conservative Party, NDP

Geographic location: SPRINGHILL, Cumberland South, River Hebert Advocate Harbour Lynn Mountain

Comments

Comments

• tax payer
    September 16, 2013 - 11:22

How short people's memories are with the Liberals and the Conservatives, they're both one in the same. They'll tell you what you want to hear until the election, then it's back to reality. At least the NDP are going in a direction that is achievable. It's a slow process trying to turn around the mess that the PC's and the Lib's have left this province over the last decades, yes they're both to blame, as soon as governments changed, they started blaming the other party and what they left for not being able to keep their commitments. Let's stick with something that will work eventually.

• Realistic
    September 16, 2013 - 10:49

Read the article folks. I'll make it easy for you - "He is the leader of the Conservative party, but the biggest factor is people are telling me he isn’t around. He hasn’t been around over the last three years.” Jackson said. “To be respectful, he is the leader and he’s trying to rebuild his party and he needs to be in more places than this riding.” KJ said nothing wrong & was quite conciliatory in what he said. What we have here is a case of a media sensationalizing with a big headline to get people talking. Sure has worked.

• Arthur Brown
    September 14, 2013 - 22:06

Lets be fair and look at the facts.Mr Baillie lives in the Halifax area,his children go to school in the Halifax area and his house is in the Halifax area.Mr Jackson lives local,his children go to school local and his home is local.So ask yourself one question,why is Mr Baillie up her in Cumberland South??? We are being taken advantage of,by someone who is to scared to run in his own area.Come on people wake up people of Cumberland South

• David
    September 14, 2013 - 21:44

Is Murray Scott still out there.I would like to know what he thinks of Baillie after 3 years. Last time Scott was everywhere with Baillie this time we have not hears or seen him anywhere.Maybe he saw the light!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DOWN SOUTH
    September 14, 2013 - 13:03

People of Cumberland South should remember their not voting for MURRAY SCOTT when your voting PC your voting for the invisible man.I haven't seen the PC OR NDP in our areas until election time .Liberal 's are at all events, if we want help in CUMBERLAND SOUTH why wouldn't we vote LOCAL// VOTE FOR THE MAN NOT THE PARTY VOTE KENNY JOHN JACKSON

• Doris
    September 13, 2013 - 22:32

Kenny -- What about your attendance record at the Springhill Police Dept? Glass houses Kenny... Glass Houses....

• RIVER HEBERT RESIDENT
    September 13, 2013 - 18:14

I myself will vote for Kenny John Jackson and the reason being is; Baillie has forgotten where RIVER HEBERT is 4 years and we might have seen him 6 or 7 times.Last election I voted for him because of Murray Scott who was one of the best MLA'S we ever had and also Guy Brown who was great.I just want to remind people when you go to the poles your not voting for Murray ,and also remember where Ken is from he's local .Why would someone not from here care about whats happening here .USE YOUR HEAD PEOPLE OCT 8 TH ISN'T FAR AWAY. VOTE LOCAL VOTE KENNY JOHN

• Arnold
    September 12, 2013 - 23:04

I find it vey interesting what Ohmslaw comment is saying.Mr Baillie office returns his calls and Mr Baillie returns his emails.But where is Mr Baillie,emails can come from just about any place.We need a member from the local area,not a person from Halifax who is to scared to run in his own area!!!!!!!!!!

• Ohmslaw
      September 13, 2013 - 10:44

@ Arnold Baillie Has has always returned my calls and e-mails.

• David
      September 13, 2013 - 17:25

Ohmslaw must be from Halifax because the only people who have seen him are from outside his riding.They are not from River Hebert

• Irony on the Hill
    September 12, 2013 - 22:13

Heres one for you, I find it ironic. I live very close to Baillies office, travel our community more than most, I was stopped on the side of the road chatting it up with a friend, a truck pulled up beside me and this chap started a conversation with me as if he knew me, after a bit i realized it was Mr. Baillie. The Ironic part of it is this, His office is literally a stones through from my home, I should have recognised him as our MLA, however, during his time in office I have seen him a total of 6 or 7 times. Kenny John Jackson on the other hand is regularly seen doing proactive things in most communities in this constituancy. He has been proactive with our youth, through to our seniors, willing to help out where ever asked but most times just appears and does more than most. Even before he was in the political scene he was DOING to improve and reshape our community. It is just his nature, and he does without prejudice. As to the question of a Police officer running in politics, if you recall Mr Scott was a Police officer for 22 years prior to entering the race. Perhaps the job gives an understanding of what the average citizen needs to improve lifestyle and wellbeing. There is no doubt in my mind that KJJ is the right man for this job. If your offended by Kenny being out there doing instead of making excuses, then maybe you should not vote for him,, HOWEVER if you want a guy who is not afraid to get in there and get his hands and pants dirty, cast your VOTE for KENNY JOHN JACKSON.

• Who was that
    September 12, 2013 - 21:44

• Ohmslaw
    September 12, 2013 - 20:15

Its going to be a interesting election this time and it might get more people out to vote. I do believe Baillie cares about Springhill and he has a lot of county to cover. If you followed him through out the 3 years he has been all over Nova Sctoia visiting people and business and that's the job of a premier. His office has always returned my calls and Baillie has returned my emails. The problem is the province has to get rid of the NDP and their unproductive mindset. Jackson will put up some numbers, but |Baillie will come out on top.

• Wingman
    September 12, 2013 - 13:37

The only place Baillie cares about is Halifax. He is not from this area so why should he and it really doesn't matter who we put in this area is all but forgotten about. At least if we replace the incumbent after one term he doesn't get a pension.

• Dont Be A Bully
      September 12, 2013 - 14:47

i am from this area, however; I care what happens all over our province. So what makes you think Mr. Baillie doesnt care what happens in this constituency, the constituency he represents? And as for the pension...I believe Mr. Baillie is the only Leader that is all for dropping the LARGE MLA's pension.... I'm sure all of the candidates and leaders have good and bad points....but picking at the same 'Not Local" issue is getting old.

• Jackie
    September 12, 2013 - 07:35

What I have seen in the last year is that Mr Baillie will tell you anything you want to hear.He is a opportunistic that will advantage of any thing for his personal gain.

• Dara
    September 12, 2013 - 07:24

It is about time we support a local member who at least lives in the area.Just ask yourself why Mr Baillie is running up here and not down where he comes from????????????

• Students Outlook
    September 12, 2013 - 07:08

funny for people to make comments that Baillie was only here for photo ops. Jackson has been Baillie's little shadow for the past few years, PUSHING his way into events, pretending to be an MLA whenever and where ever there was a camera. Rather than running Baillie down, talk about the issues. I have not heard that from you yet.

• Jack on the Rocks
    September 12, 2013 - 05:57

Southampton Girl...RCMP are a Federal run dept....there is your answer..

• David Le Blanc
    September 11, 2013 - 20:51

I live in River Hebert I have met Jackson 5 times in the past 3 years. I'm on the board of directors For the River Hebert Medical Center. This is Where Baillies office is, he is suppose to be there once a week. Can anyone tell me how many days he was there in the past 6 month. I asked that question at a meeting 4 months ago and no one could tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Southampton girl
    September 11, 2013 - 18:22

One has to wonder how a serving police officer is allowed to enter politics. My brother in law is an RCMP officer in western Canada and he has a code of ethics which states he cannot take sides politically. Seems to me that actually running for elected office and being a member of a political party is taking sides but maybe the town police have different ethics?

• Lower Maccan Resident
    September 11, 2013 - 17:34

Here we are coming into an election and Jamie Baillie turns his head away when someone mentions about the remodeling of the River Hebert High School (not good) the Lower Maccan Road was repaired (not paved) which it should have been I guess we are second class citizens here we got a double chip seal and the road is starting to deteriorate already, the grass wasn't even cut on the sides of the road this year well I guess Kenny Jackson your the man I know you have put a lot of time in down this way this past few months .

• Proud Springhiller
      September 12, 2013 - 23:09

I've followed the antics of Kenny John Jackson and the commitment of Jamie Baillie to the town and riding since the last by election. To clear up something, Mr. Baillie has worked hard for the riding, he has been pushing hard for the school in River Hebert (regardless of what some comments here say) and that work has recently paid off. He also worked with his Federal counterpart to secure money the Springhill Lions Park (even though Mr. Jackson tries to take credit for it often). Mr. Baillie is in the riding because he is keeping his word to the people of the riding. He said in the by election that he would not be in the riding for one election and leave so he isn't. In the meantime Mr. Jackson has tried very hard to make himself look like he was doing something but the truth of the matter is Mr. Jackson entered himself in parades and tried to take credit for the hard work of others but has never had much to say unless surrounded solely by his group of supporters, unfortunately he has never taken the time to be vocal to everyone else like his signs say.

• Ohmslaw
      September 13, 2013 - 10:46

Baillie wants to build a new school for the Maccan and river Herbert area.

• Jogginers
      September 16, 2013 - 11:19

The local citizenry of Joggins/River Hebert/Maccan is the reason there has been ANY progress on the RHDH School - for you to say anything else is baloney - Baillie has been trying to take credit, but none of the progress was ANY of his doing. Further, he is NEVER here in River Hebert - people who work daily in the medical centre building where his constituency office is have barely seen him since he was elected. He doesn't care about us. He is certainly no Murray Scott, nor Guy Brown. I don't know how I'll vote, but I'll not be voting for Jamie Baillie. Lastly, it is curious that he stated publicly that he was headed to RHDH to tour the school, then left for a few minutes, and got a phone call that the province had taken over the tenders and returned to the school to share the good news - YET he had papers waiting in his car announcing 'the good news' that he put up around the community taking credit for this announcement? Where did those papers come from if he had just gotten a phone call? It is all a photo op with him - and clearly Lies. Incidentally, the local councillor's phone call was the reason the province took the school tender business over that day - not Jamie Baillie, who again took credit. It's hard to bear all the lies.

• gary brown
    September 11, 2013 - 15:50

Being a former resident of Springhill and now residing in the County on Lynn Rd. I know who sent the letter to the Minister about our famous bridge . It was Mr. Jackson ,as all the residents on the Lynn Rd. received copies. Mr. Jackson has been working very hard to make things better in Cumberland South and Nova Scotia for past 2 years . He did not go home to Halifax and come back for photo opps. He was here working to make our communities a better place for it,s citizens and especially our youth. He also never has taken credit for something he did do.

• Concerned Citizen
    September 11, 2013 - 15:16

I beg to differ on Mr. Jackson's comments. I rarely heard from him throughout the last four years, however, Mr. Baille, has been very visable. He made things happen and was there when we needed him. If anything, Darryl Dexter is the problem, and Jamie Baille is the solution!

• Springhill Resident
    September 11, 2013 - 13:39

I get it....it's an election and some party candidates will say whatever it takes !!!! From what I understand, Mr. Baillie's office always returns his calls . He is in the area every week and he is not the MLA only for Springhill, but for all of Cumberland South. that is a HUGE area. I hate when people throw dirt at the other candidates to make themselves look better. Shame...shame...