IMP evacuated after release of fumes

Staff ~ The Amherst News
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

AMHERST - A small fire in a curing oven forced an evacuation of IMP Aerospace Components on Wednesday night.

Firefighters from Amherst responded to a call from the manufacturing facility in the industrial park just after 8 p.m. when scrap impregnated film was left in a curing oven for too long and began to smoulder.

Deputy fire chief Paul Black said the film may have caught fire, but it quickly went out. Smoke and fumes were vented to the outside of the building, but were drawn back in through the facility's air handling system.

"The workers on the shift at the time left the building and firefighters went in and checked it out," Black said, adding there was a strong odour in the building, but it quickly dissipated.

Fumes from the smoke could be smelled in the air near the plant.

Staff were sent home for the night and it was business as usual at the facility Thursday morning.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments